No matter how you slice and dice it, food and love are inextricably tied.
In fact, YourTango polled more than a thousand hungry readers for our Breakfast, Love & Dinner survey, and 75 percent agreed that preparing food for someone is a significant act of love.
If that doesn’t get you hungry for some sweet, sweet romantic dinners, I don’t know what will. Actually, food and love quotes might do the trick.
We all love food quotes because they’re just so relatable. You’ve probably heard Virginia Woolf’s popular quote “One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well,” but other notable food-loving people have also poetically described the bond between food and love.
A food lover or foodie is someone who lives to eat rather than eats to live. They take extra pleasure in cooking, eating, and dining experiences and these witty quotes about food and love from famous foodies make excellent Instagram captions for your #foodstagrams.
We’ve gathered 15 of the most inspiring food and love quotes to get your stomach rumbling. You’re welcome.
1. “Cooking is like love: It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.” — Harriet van Horne
2. “One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.” ― Virginia Woolf
3. “Food is symbolic of love when words are inadequate.” —A lan D. Wolfelt
4. “It’s absolutely unfair for women to say that guys only want one thing: sex. We also want food.” ― Jarod Kintz
5. “There is no love sincerer than the love of food.” ― George Bernard Shaw
6. “If you really want to make a friend, go to someone’s house and eat with him…the people who give you their food give you their heart.” — Cesar Chavez
7. “I have made a lot of mistakes falling in love, and regretted most of them, but never the potatoes that went with them.” ― Nora Ephron
8. “My weaknesses have always been food and men — in that order.” — Dolly Parton
9. “Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.” ― M.F.K. Fisher
10. “All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.” ― Charles M. Schulz
11. “Great food is like great sex. The more you have the more you want.” — Gael Greene
12. “There is no sight on earth more appealing than the sight of a woman making dinner for someone she loves.” — Thomas Wolfe
13. “I love my pizza so much, in fact, that I have come to believe in my delirium that my pizza might actually love me, in return. I am having a relationship with this pizza, almost an affair.” ― Elizabeth Gilbert
14. “People who love to eat are always the best people.” — Julia Child
15. “Barbecue sauce is like a beautiful woman. If it’s too sweet, it’s bound to be hiding something.” — Lyle Lovett
Kristine Soloman is the former Executive Editor of YourTango, the top website for relationships, love and wellness for women.