Being cheated on sucks. It doesn’t matter if you’ve been in a relationship for three months or three years; when you find out you’ve been cheated on, it can be the worst heartbreak you can feel.
Cheating says a lot about a person, because this is someone who was supposed to love you and stay committed, yet has totally betrayed your trust. Not only that, they probably didn’t even think twice about what they were doing to you until they got caught.
And most cheating quotes are all about the worst things that come with dealing with a cheater: having to listen to them try to apologize.
Let’s get one thing straight: cheating is not an accident. So when you hear about someone getting angrier as their partner goes on and on about what a big mistake it was to cheat, put yourself in their shoes. At some point in their relationship, that person’s partner was thinking about someone who was not them. And that realization can hurt a lot.
After being confronted, cheaters will sometimes apologize, but saying sorry after the fact just makes it seem like it was an accident and won’t happen ever again. Some may even deny their actions and act like that’s explanation enough.
But what do you even say to a cheater? First, express your hurt, anger, and rage. That way, they can let you know they comprehend the enormity of what they did. Put your foot down and demand that they must be willing to make a continual effort in words and deeds to prove they will never cross that line again.
It’s important to do this because cheating can affect someone greatly. Everyone copes with being cheated on in their own unique way. Some seek out the comfort of their friends, look for revenge, or find a rebound. But even if you do all or none of these, it’s still hard to express exactly how it feels to be cheated on.
Luckily, there are ways to fix yourself after being cheated on. The best way to get over a cheater is by showing them that your life is way better now than it ever was when you were together. That might mean taking up an exercise class to get the revenge body you’ve always wanted, or it might mean getting a new job and moving across the country so you don’t have to worry about running into them anymore.
But until that day comes when you can get back to feeling like your old self — the “you” that was confident, happy, and carefree (and not worrying about what your exes are up to — you need to surround yourself with all kinds of positivity. Positive people, positive vibes, positive words; that is the only way you’re going to get over a cheater.
To help you stay positive and on top of your game, we’ve rounded up the best quotes about being cheated on that will help you start the healing process.
1. “Someone who loves you wouldn’t put themselves in a position to lose you.” — Trent Shelton
2. “F*** 8ou for cheating on me. F*** you for reducing it to the word cheating. As if this were a card game, and you sneaked a look at my hand. Who came up with the term cheating, anyway? A cheater, I imagine. Someone who thought liar was too harsh. Someone who thought devastator was too emotional. The same person who thought, oops, he’d gotten caught with his hand in the cookie jar. F*** you. This isn’t about slipping yourself an extra twenty dollars of Monopoly money. These are our lives. You went and broke our lives. You are so much worse than a cheater. You killed something. And you killed it when its back was turned.” — David Levithan
3. “Never love someone beneath your level of evolution. If you want a monkey, you can visit one at your local zoo.” — Shannon L. Alder
4. “It is better to lock up your heart with a merciless padlock, than to fall in love with someone who doesn’t know what they mean to you.” ― Michael Bassey Johnson
5. “Surprises, I feel now, are primarily a form of violence.” — Suzanne Finnamore
6. “Never cheat on someone that is good to you. Karma is a b****.” — Surgeo Bell
7. “Cheating isn’t always kissing, touching, or flirting. If you gotta delete text messages so your partner won’t see them, you’re already there.”
8. “It might sound ordinary for a woman to find out her husband’s cheating on her, but not if you’re the woman and it’s your husband.” — Melissa Bank
9. “Next to hurting my family, cheating on me is the worst thing someone could do.” — Robert Buckley
10. “The truly scary thing about undiscovered lies is that they have a greater capacity to diminish us than exposed ones. They erode our strength, our self-esteem, our very foundation.” ― Cheryl Hughes
11. “Cheating and lying aren’t struggles, they’re reasons to break up.” — Patti Callahan Henry
12. “I can’t deal with someone wanting to take a relationship backward or needing space or cheating on you.” — Taylor Swift
13. “As I was fighting for you, I realized I was fighting to be lied to, fighting to be taken for granted, fighting to be disappointed, and fighting to be hurt again… So I started fighting to let go.”
14. “I’ve told Billy if I ever caught him cheating, I wouldn’t kill him because I love his children and they need a dad. But I would beat him up. I know where all of his sports injuries are.” — Angelina Jolie
15. “Earthquakes just happen. Tornadoes just happen. Your tongue does not just happen to fall into some other girl’s mouth!” — Gemma Halliday
16. “You didn’t just cheat on me; you cheated on us. You didn’t just break my heart; you broke our future.” — Steve Maraboli
17. “Seriously, if the bastards cheat on you, then they don’t deserve you anyway. If that’s a legit fear, then you probably shouldn’t be with them to begin with.” — Kody Keplinger
18. “Some people view love and romance as a sacred bond between two individuals. Other people see love as a game, where the goal is to manipulate another individual and gain emotional power over a partner. People who view love as a game are much more likely to have multiple love interest; cheating is just another way to gain control over one’s partner.” — David Reeves
19. “If you’re going to cheat, you probably shouldn’t be in a relationship. Grow up and treat people like people instead of tools in your selfish ego workshop.”
20. “Cheats prosper until there are enough who bear grudges against them to make sure they do not prosper.” — Peter Singer
21. “He’d lost the only part of his life that made it worth living because of a couple random f***s. How ridiculous.” — Santino Hassell
22. “When people cheat in any arena, they diminish themselves — they threaten their own self-esteem and their relationships with others by undermining the trust they have in their ability to succeed and in their ability to be true.” ― Cheryl Hughes
23. “People cheat when they are afraid. When there is no cost to being wrong or confessing ignorance, there is no reason to cheat or fake comprehension.” — Leah Hager Cohen
24. “When a man cheats, it is said it is because he is a dog. When a woman cheats, it is said it is because her man is a dog.” — Mokokoma Mokhonoana
25. “Don’t get mad. Don’t get even. Do better. Much better. Rise above. Become so engulfed in your own success that you forget it ever happened.”
26. “Virtually all women will always carry the scars and a deep sense of loss and grief from the betrayal. Whether a woman has stayed, left, or been left, it must be remembered that time is the salve on this journey towards forgiveness and healing, because it is also a process of grieving.” — Meryn G. Callander
27. “A true gentleman is one that apologizes anyways, even though he has not offended a lady intentionally. He is in a class all of his own because he knows the value of a woman’s heart.” — Shannon Alder
28. “What irritated me most in that entire situation was the fact that I wasn’t feeling humiliated, or annoyed, or even fooled. Betrayal was what I felt, my heart broken not just by a guy I was in love with, but also by, as I once believed, a true friend.” ― Danka V.
29. “I called to tell her I loved her, which was smart, because if I’d have done it in person, I’d have caught her with another man. I don’t care if he was my clone, it isn’t right and it pisses me off. I was backstabbed by myself.” — Jarod Kintz
30. “Sometimes there a hundred lies behind a smile and not a single truth behind a tear.” — Saahil Prem
31. “They say: You don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone. Truth: You knew exactly what you had; you just thought you’d never lose it.”
32. “The sure way to be cheated is to think one’s self more cunning than others.” — Francois de la Rochefoucauld
33. “One of the worst things about trusting someone is really believing that everything they ever told you was the truth. From the I love you’s, I need you, I care for you, and that you make them happy and complete, but only in the end to realize you wasn’t the only one they was telling that too!” — Telisa McLaughlin
34. “I gave my heart to a man who loved me, who wanted to be with me. Who ultimately was afraid of all I offered.” — Rachel Thompson
35. “Cheaters dont think cheating is wrong until they get cheated on.” — Sonya Parker
36. “Cheating someone is a choice not a mistake.” — Sushan Sharma
37. “Cheating on a good person is like throwing away a diamond and picking up a rock.”
38. “Once a cheater, always a repeater.” — Melissa Edwards
39. “Cheating is easy. Try something more like being faithful.” — Don Kel
40. “Those who cheat on their partners who are loyal to them; don’t deserve them. It is a trashy attitude to disrespect a person who is loyal in a relationship, by cheating on him or her.” — Ellen J. Barrier
41. “I tried to keep us together, you were busy keeping secrets.” — Drake
42. “Cheating is the most selfish thing a person can do in a relationship! If you’re not happy with the person you’re with, then end it. It’s that simple!” — Bryan Burden
43. “If someone is willing to cheat with you, they will cheat on you. As much as you hate to believe it, you’re not the exception to the rule.”
44. “He who stands for nothing will fall for anything.” — Alexander Hamilton
45. “If you marry a man who cheats on his wife, you’ll be married to a man who cheats on his wife.” — Ann Landers
46. “The hardest thing you can do is look back and see what the person you love has done to you.” — Sammi Giancola
47. “It is better to have a relationship with someone who cheats on you than with someone who does not flush the toilet.” — Uma Thurman
48. “It’s okay to cry over him. It’s even okay to forgive him. But do not go back to him. If he did not know how to love you the first time, he won’t know how to do it the next.”
49. “The easiest way to be cheated is to believe yourself to be more cunning than others.” — Pierre Charron
50. “No woman could love a cheater and not pay the price for it.” — Rose Wynters
51. “Some abuse is not physical. Abuse does not have to be physical. There’s emotional abuse, psychological abuse and spiritual abuse.” — Iyanla Vanzant
52. “You weren’t in love with me, not really. You just loved the way I always made you feel. Like you were the center of my world. Because you were. I would have done anything for you.”
53. “It isn’t what we say or think that defines us, but what we do.” — Jane Austen
54. “The more people rationalize cheating, the more it becomes a culture of dishonesty. And that can become a vicious, downward cycle. Because suddenly, if everyone else is cheating, you feel a need to cheat, too.” —Stephen Covey
55. “Cheating is the most disrespectful thing one human being can do to another. If you aren’t happy in a relationship, end it before starting another one.” — Abhishek Tiwari
56. “The truth is that perhaps everything has a price, but certainly everyone has to pay more price only for their lies.” — Anuj Somany
57. “If you cheated on a person that was willing to do anything for you, you actually cheated yourself out of true loyalty.”
58. “People generally didn’t cheat in good relationships.” ― Emily Giffin
59. “I was steeped in denial, but my body knew.” ― Suzanne Finnamore
60. “Cheating and lying do not just happen by accident. They are intentional choices, so stop hiding behind the word ‘mistake’ when you get caught.”
Photo: Dissapointment Quotes
Emily Ratay is a full-time writer living in Pittsburgh. She’s passionate about the environment and feminism, and knows that anything is possible in the right pair of shoes.