As Plato once said, “At the touch of love, everyone becomes a poet.” Don’t agree? It’s not hard to see why.
Many tongue-tied lovers stumble over themselves when trying to figure out just the most romantic way to say “I love you.” After all, it’s not easy to fully express exactly how it is you feel about the person you love most.
The most romantic saying would include something to do with the heart.
It’s not like most of us walk around with an endless supply of our favorite love quotes at the top of our mind and on the tip of our tongue. Honestly, if we did, we might sound even more awkward than we do otherwise.
Luckily, the internet is an endless resource for finding inspirational phrases and sayings that poets, musicians, artists, philosophers, and screenwriters have written or uttered, putting this most elusive and complex feeling into words.
We certainly can’t all expect to be Shakespeare, Joyce, or a Brontë sister, but we absolutely can sift through the treasure trove of quotes about love which they and other brilliant minds created for us all.
While every love is unique, there is a collective nature to the emotions involved in that heady mix of passion, fear, joy, worry, excitement, and trepidation.
The best love quotes are all about the feeling of “when you know, you know.”
Of course, you don’t have to take our word for it. Take your time, letting the words glide through your mind, heart, and soul. When your heart beats quickly and you can’t help but think of your own him or her, you’ll know you found the one to save (and maybe even to share with them).
So pour yourself a glass of wine, relax and picture the person who makes your heart dance. Then enjoy the beautiful words written, spoken, or sung by some of the most gifted minds in the world.
Here are our favorite famous love quotes from authors, artists, musicians, movies, and more.
1. “Love consists of this: two solitudes that meet, protect and greet each other.” — Rainer Maria Rilke
2. “Love is like the wind, you can’t see it, but you can feel it.” ― Nicholas Sparks, “A Walk To Remember”
3. “Love doesn’t make the world go round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile.” — Elizabeth Barrett Browning
4. “Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” — Robert A. Heinlein
5. “All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.” — Charles M. Schulz
6. “Love loves to love love.” ― James Joyce, “Ulysses”
7. “Love is the voice under all silences, the hope which has no opposite in fear; the strength so strong mere force is feebleness: the truth more first than sun, more last than star.” — E.E. Cummings
8. “Love is but the discovery of ourselves in others, and the delight in the recognition.” ― Alexander Smith
9. “Love is a smoke and is made with the fume of sighs.” — William Shakespeare, “Romeo and Juliet”
10. “Love is the answer to everything. It’s the only reason to do anything.” — Ray Bradbury
11. “It is better to love wisely, no doubt: but to love foolishly is better than not to be able to love at all.” — William Makepeace Thackeray, “Vanity Fair”
12. “We’re all a little weird, and life’s a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.” — Dr. Seuss
13. “Love can change a person the way a parent can change a baby: awkwardly, and often with a great deal of mess.” — Lemony Snicket
14. “Life is a flower of which love is the honey.” — Victor Hugo
15. “Love is quivering happiness.” — Kahlil Gibran
16. “Love; it will not betray you, dismay or enslave you. It will set you free.” — Mumford & Sons, “Sigh No More”
17. “The opposite of love is not hate; it’s indifference.” — Elie Wiesel
18. “Love is something sent from Heaven to worry the Hell out of you.” — Dolly Parton
19. “Passion makes the world go round. Loves just makes it a safer place.” — Ice T
20. “Love is a promise; love is a souvenir, once given never forgotten, never let it disappear.” — John Lennon
21. “Love is of all passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart, and the senses.” — Lao Tzu
22. “In dreams and in love, there are no impossibilities.” — János Arnay
23. “Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.” — Aristotle
24. “There is no remedy for love but to love more.” — Henry David Thoreau
25. “Love is a serious mental disease.” — Plato
26. “Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable.” — Bruce Lee
27. “Love is the hardest habit to break and the most difficult to satisfy.” — Drew Barrymore
28. “Do you know how you tell real love? It’s when someone else’s interest trumps your own. I like to put it that way: trumps your own. Love of somebody else — of family, of your kids — becomes the most important, most worthwhile thing in your life. It’s what you foster and protect.” — Brad Pitt
29. “Love is a game that two can play and both win.” ― Eva Gabor
30. “We’re born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we’re not alone.” — Orson Wells
31. “I hate, for example, whenever you hear someone say: ‘You have to work at being a couple.’ No, you have to want to be there.” — Vanessa Paradis
32. “The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants.” — Johnny Depp
33. “Soul mates. It’s extremely rare, but it exists. It’s sort of like twin souls tuned into each other.” — “What Dreams May Come”
34. “Love always brings difficulties, that is true, but the good side of it is that it gives energy.” — Vincent Van Gogh
35. “Love is the greatest refreshment in life.” — Pablo Picasso
36. “Love is all around us.” — “Love, Actually”
37. “You are the finest, loveliest, tenderest, and most beautiful person I have ever known, but even that is an understatement.” — F. Scott Fitzgerald
38. “Love is a friendship set to music.” — E. Joseph Cossman
39. “Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents never revenges itself.” — Mahatma Gandhi
40. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.
41. “Love involves a peculiar unfathomable combination of understanding and misunderstanding.” — Diane Arbus
42. “If there’s any kind of magic in this world, it must be in the attempt of understanding someone, sharing something. I know, it’s almost impossible to succeed, but … who cares, really? The answer must be in the attempt.” — “Before Sunrise”
43. “The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds and that’s what you’ve given me.” — Nicholas Sparks, “The Notebook”
44. “Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.” — “The Princess Bride”
45. “I’m also just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.” — “Notting Hill”
46. “True love is singing karaoke ‘Under Pressure’ and letting the other person sing the Freddie Mercury part.” — Mindy Kaling
47. “Absence sharpens love, presence strengthens it.” — Benjamin Franklin
48. “Dax helped me learn that I don’t have it all figured out. Sometimes that’s the greatest gift someone can give you.” — Kristen Bell
49. “Being in love is the worst. I mean it’s the best, but it’s so hard and scary to open your heart to someone. The point is, vulnerability is the key to happiness. Vulnerable people are powerful people.” — Amy Poehler
50. “When you are missing someone, time seems to move slower, and when I’m falling in love with someone, time seems to be moving faster.” — Taylor Swift
51. “Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only with what you are expecting to give — which is everything.” — Katharine Hepburn
52. “It’s always wrong to hate but its never wrong to love.” — Lady Gaga
53. “Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” — Emily Brontë, “Wuthering Heights”
54. “The best smell in the world is that man that you love.” — Jennifer Aniston
55. “To be brave is to love someone unconditionally, without expecting anything in return.” — Madonna
56. “You always gain by giving love.” — Reese Witherspoon
57. “If you find someone you love in your life, then hang on to that love.” — Princess Diana
58. “A simple ‘I love you’ means more than money.” — Frank Sinatra
59. “When you’re lucky enough to meet your one person, then life takes a turn for the best. It can’t get better than that.” — John Krasinski
60. “We accept the love we think we deserve.” — Stephen Chbosky, “The Perks of Being a Wallflower”
Alex Alexander is a frequent contributor to YourTango.