Love — it makes us smile, it makes us giggle, and it makes us rejoice in the little moments we share together.
Doing something simple as sharing sweet love quotes with your special someone has the power to make them feel happy like nothing else can. In other words, love creates happiness in us as human beings.
But how much does love help, or how much does a lack of love hinder, our happiness?
Researchers working on Harvard’s famous Grant Study have now spent more than 80 years trying to answer that exact question.
George E. Vaillant, the psychiatrist who led the study for more than 40 years, summed it up as follows: “The seventy-five years and twenty million dollars expended on the Grant Study points to a straightforward five-word conclusion: Happiness is love. Full stop.”
As Vaillant puts it, there are two pillars of happiness: “One is love. The other is finding a way of coping with life that does not push love away.”
All of this is to say that scientific research proves what we’ve suspected all along: Love is key to leading a happy and fulfilling life. And quotes about happiness and love are just one step towards fulfilling that sentiment.
Author Victor Hugo gave us the best love quote ever when he wrote, “The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved — loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.”
Essentially, finding happiness in love is being accepted for who we are. You can have a successful career, make an impressive income and be in top physical health, but without supportive relationships to help you overcome life’s obstacles and celebrate those everyday moments, you won’t find the happiness you seek.
In fact, true happiness is best summed up in Mahatma Gandhi’s words, which also doubles as a good life quote: “Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony,” or in a quote from Anonymous: “Happiness isn’t what you find at the end of the road. It’s right here. Right now.”
You can nurture the love in your life by sharing uplifting sayings about the power of love and happiness with the person or people who mean the most to you.
Here are the 55 best quotes about happiness and love guaranteed to make you both smile.
1. “There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy.”
2. “Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be.” ― Abraham Lincoln
3. “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.” ― Helen Keller
4. “Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
5. “The real power of a man is in the size of the smile of the woman sitting next to him.”
6. “Happiness is holding someone in your arms and knowing you hold the whole world.” ― Orhan Pamuk
7. “I must learn to be content with being happier than I deserve.” ― Jane Austen
8. “I’m happy. Which often looks like crazy.” ― David Henry Hwang
9.”You, of all people deserve a happy ending.” — Sylvain Reynard
10. “One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory.” ― Rita Mae Brown
11. “It was the kind of kiss that made me know that I was never so happy in my whole life.” ― Stephen Chbosky
12. “Now and then it’s good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.” ― Guillaume Apollinaire
13. “The secret of being happy is accepting where you are in life and making the most out of everyday.”
14. “The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved — loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” ― Victor Hugo
15. “The more the heart is nourished with happiness, the more it is insatiable.” ― Gabrielle Roy
16. “Happiness, not in another place but this place…not for another hour, but this hour.” ― Walt Whitman
17. “Maybe it’s not about the happy ending. Maybe it’s about the story.”
18. “I wish, as well as everybody else, to be perfectly happy; but, like everybody else, it must be in my own way.” ― Jane Austen
19. “Happiness consists in frequent repetition of pleasure.” ― Arthur Schopenhauer
20. “Happiness is a risk. If you’re not a little scared, then you’re not doing it right.” ― Sarah Addison Allen
21. “Whatever you decide to do make sure it makes you happy.” — Paulo Coelho
22. “The heart that gives thanks is a happy one, for we cannot feel thankful and unhappy at the same time.” ― Douglas Wood
23. “There are as many styles of beauty as there are visions of happiness.” ― Stendhal
24. “They’ve got no idea what happiness is, they don’t know that without this love there is no happiness or unhappiness for us — there is no life.” ― Leo Tolstoy
25. “Happy girls are the prettiest.” — Audrey Hepburn
26. “Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting some on yourself.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
27. “Woman is not made to be the admiration of all, but the happiness of one.” ― Edmund Burke
28. “Nothing makes a person happier than having a happy heart.” ― Roy T. Bennett
29. “Be crazy. Be stupid. Be silly. Be weird. Be whatever. Because life is too short to be anything but happy.”
30. “Being happy doesn’t mean that everything is perfect. It means that you’ve decided to look beyond the imperfections.” ― Gerard Way
31. “Love means to see the one you love happy.” ― Nicholas Sparks
32. “Happiness does not depend on outward things, but on the way we see them.” ― Leo Tolstoy
33. “Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” — Marcel Proust
34. “The power of finding beauty in the humblest things makes home happy and life lovely.” ― Louisa May Alcott
35. “A thing of beauty is a joy forever.” ― John Keats
36. “There is no happiness like that of being loved by your fellow creatures, and feeling that your presence is an addition to their comfort.” ― Charlotte Brontë
37. “Happiness isn’t what you find at the end of the road. It’s right here. Right now.”
38. “Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.” ― Robert Frost
39. “The constant happiness is curiosity.” ― Alice Munro
40. “How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.” ― Oscar Wilde
41. “You do not find the happy life. You make it.” — Camilla E. Kimball
42. “Happiness is something that comes into our lives through doors we don’t even remember leaving open.” ― Rose Wilder Lane
43. “I’d far rather be happy than right any day.” ― Douglas Adams
44. “Happiness quite unshared can scarcely be called happiness; it has no taste.” ― Charlotte Bronte
45. “It is only possible to live happily ever after on a daily basis.” — Margaret Bonnano
46. “They say a person needs just three things to be truly happy in this world: someone to love, something to do, and something to hope for.” ― Tom Bodett
47. “Success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get.” ― W. P. Kinsella
48. “Happiness is only real when shared.” — Jon Krakauer
49. “Learn to value yourself, which means: fight for your happiness.” ― Ayn Rand
50. “Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present.” — Jim Rohn
51. “The happiness you feel is in direct proportion with the love you give.” — Oprah Winfrey
52. “Love is when the other person’s happiness is more important than your own.” — H. Jackson Brown Jr.
53. “Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.” — Maya Angelou
54. “There is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way.” — Lao Tzu
55. “Enjoy the little things.”
Alexandra Churchill is a digital editor based in New York City whose work has been featured on numerous sites, including The Huffington Post, Her Campus, USA TODAY College, and Northshore and Ocean Home magazines.