Quotes about home prove that while the meaning of home can mean something a little different for everyone, the overall theme and feeling of home are the same.
It could be the physical version of home, or home could be a state of mind, or it could be finding that sense of home within a person.
Whichever version of home resonates with you more, the essence of peace and security when it comes to feeling nostalgic about home are all the same.
Especially over the last year, being at home has started to mean something different to a lot of people.
Here are 45 quotes about home that prove there’s no place like it.
1. “It’s a funny thing coming home. Nothing changes. Everything looks the same, feels the same, even smells the same. You realized what’s changed is you.” — F. Scott Fitzgerald
2. “Home is where the heart is.” — Pliny the Elder
3. “There is nothing more important than a good, safe, secure home.” — Rosalynn Carter
4. “Where we love is home — home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts.” — Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
5. “Home, the spot of earth supremely blest, a dearer, sweeter spot than all the rest.” — Robert Montgomery
6. “I believe wherever dreams dwell, the heart calls it home. So may you untangle yourself from the twist of melancholy and let your thoughts carry you back to the birthplace of your truth.” — Dodinsky
7. “Home is a shelter from storms — all sorts of storms.” — William J. Bennett
8. “Home is where one starts from.” — T.S. Eliot
9. “After you leave home, you may find yourself feeling homesick, even if you have a new home that has nicer wallpaper and a more efficient dishwasher than the home in which you grew up.” — Lemony Snicket
10. “Maybe that’s the best part of going away for a vacation — coming home again.” — Madeleine L’Engle
11. “Be grateful for the home you have, knowing that at this moment, all you have is all you need.” — Sarah Ban Breathnach
12. “There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.” — Jane Austen
13. “Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in.” — Robert Frost
14. “Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.” — William Morris
15. “Charity begins at home, but should not end there.” — Thomas Fuller
16. “The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned.” — Maya Angelou
17. “Home is any four walls that enclose the right person.” — Helen Rowland
18. “There is a magic in that little world, home; it is a mystic circle that surrounds comforts and virtues never known beyond its hallowed limits.” — Robert Southey
19. “The strength of a nation derives from the integrity of the home.” — Confucius
20. “Home sweet home. This is the place to find happiness. If one doesn’t find it here, one doesn’t find it anywhere.” — M. K. Soni
21. “I think that when you invite people to your home, you invite them to yourself.” — Oprah Winfrey
22. “If you know you’re going home, the journey is never too hard.” — Angela Wood
23. “No matter under what circumstances you leave it, home does not cease to be home. No matter how you lived there — well or poorly.” — Joseph Brodsky
24. “If you go anywhere, even paradise, you will miss your home.” — Malala Yousafzai
25. “To be happy at home is the ultimate result of all ambition, the end to which every enterprise and labor tends, and of which every desire prompts the prosecution.” — Samuel Johnson
26. “Home is the place we love best and grumble the most.” — Billy Sunday
27. “There is something permanent, and something extremely profound, in owning a home.” — Kenny Guinn
28. “I long, as does every human being, to be at home wherever I find myself.’ — Maya Angelou
29. “Charity begins at home, and justice begins next door.” — Charles Dickens
30. “Home is the most popular, and will be the most enduring of all earthly establishments.” — Channing Pollock
31. “The sun at home warms better than the sun elsewhere.” — Albanian Proverb
32. “A house is made of walls and beams; a home is built with love and dreams.” — Unknown
33. “There’s nothing half so pleasant as coming home again.” — Margaret Elizabeth Sangster
34. “Home is where love resides, memories are created, friends and family belong, and laughter never ends.” — Unknown
35. “Home is where you feel at home and are treated well.” — Dalai Lama
36. “A home without books is a body without a soul.” — Cicero
37. “There is no place like home.” — L. Frank Baum
38. “Love begins at home.” — Mother Teresa
39. “Home is the nicest word there is.” — Laura Ingalls Wilder
40. “Good houses take work.” — Michael S. Smith
41. “The ultimate luxury is being able to relax and enjoy your home.” — Jeff Lincoln
42. “Repurposing and restyling are what make a home personal.” — Nestor Santa Cruz
43. “To be an ideal guest, stay at home.” — E. W. Howe
44. “Home is where you feel loved, appreciated, and safe.” — Tracey Taylor
45. “Yes, your home is your castle, but it is also your identity and your possibility to be open to others.” — David Soul
46. “You can have more than one home. You can carry your roots with you, and decide where they grow.” — Henning Mankell
47. “Home isn’t where you’re from, it’s where you find light when all grows dark.” — Pierce Brown
48. “Home is where we should feel secure and comfortable.” — Catherine Pulsifer
49. “A home is no home unless it contains food and fire for the mind as well as for the body. For human beings are not so constituted that they can live without expansion. If they do not get it in one way, they must in another, or perish.” — Margaret Fuller
50. “He is happiest, be he king or peasant, who finds peace in his home.” — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
51. “Nothing can bring a real sense of security into the home except true love.” — Billy Graham
Nia Tipton is a writer living in Brooklyn. She covers pop culture, social justice issues, and trending topics. Follow her on Instagram.