Love is so lovely, isn’t it? So why is it sometimes so hard to stay together?
There’s a lot more to love than just rainbows, butterflies, and romantic walks on the beach.
As these stay-together quotes will show, love isn’t always easy — especially when times get tough.
There will be fighting and days when you feel alone. Sometimes you feel like you love your partner, but you don’t even like them at that moment.
But you have to constantly work at bettering your relationship when times are tough because your love for your partner is stronger than any adversity you could ever come across.
To get on the same page with your partner, sharing relationship quotes about staying together forever, while bonding intimately, can bring you closer together.
And then, once you work things out, shout your love from the rooftops. Caption that cute Instagram selfie of you two with something like, “we can make it if we try,” or “find someone who knows that you are not perfect but treats you as if you are.”
Because as the Dalai Lama so famously said, “The purpose of our lives is to be happy.” Something every couple should live by.
Don’t let life start to make you forget why you love your partner. You can stay together and build your relationship when you focus on the things that made you fall in love in the first place.
These 50 staying together quotes prove that it’s worth fighting for your relationship, even when times are tough.
1. “I choose you. And I’ll choose you, over and over and over. Without pause, without a doubt, in a heartbeat. I’ll keep choosing you.”
2. “A true relationship is two unperfect people refusing to give up on each other.”
3. “Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead.” — Oscar Wilde
4. “Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky.” — Rainer Maria Rilke
5. “Sometimes, two people have to fall apart to realize how much they need to fall back together.”
6. “The couples that are meant to be are the ones who go through everything that is meant to tear them apart, and come out even stronger.”
7. “Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.” — James Baldwin
8. “After every storm the sun will smile; for every problem there is a solution, and the soul’s indefeasible duty is to be of good cheer.” — William R. Alger
9. “I find the best way to love someone is not to change them, but instead, help them reveal the greatest version of themselves.” — Steve Maraboli
10. “I just want you that’s it. All your flaws, mistakes, smiles, giggles, jokes, sarcasm. Everything. I just want you.”
11. “The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in.” — Morrie Schwartz
12. “If I know what love is, it is because of you.” — Herman Hesse
13. “I love that you are my person and I am yours, that whatever door we come to, we will open it together.” — A. R. Asher
14. “Find a heart that will love you at your worst and arms that will hold you at your weakest.”
15. “I love you not because of who you are, but because of who I am when I am with you.” — Roy Croft
16. “We are shaped and fashioned by what we love.” — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
17. “A strong relationship requires choosing to love each other even in those moments when you struggle to like each other.”
18. “It’s amazing how one day someone walks into your life and you can’t remember how you ever lived without them.”
19. “The way to love anything is to realize that it may be lost.” — Gilbert K. Chesterton
20. “When we are in love we seem to ourselves quite different from what we were before.” — Blaise Pascal
21. “They knew it. Time, distance, nothing could separate them. Because they knew. It was right, it was real.”
22. “Maybe it won’t work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.”
23. “Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.” — Maya Angelou
24. “Don’t brood. Get on with living and loving. You don’t have forever.” — Leo Buscaglia
25. “All relationships have one law. Never make the one you love feel alone, especially when you’re there.”
26. “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” — Dr. Seuss
27. “There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved.” — George Sand
28. “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” — Rumi
29. “This thing we’re doing here, you, me. I’m in. I am all in.” — Luke Danes
30. “You know it’s love when all you want is that person to be happy, even if you’re not part of their happiness.” — Julia Roberts
31. “Love is of all passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart and the senses.” — Lao Tzu
32. “At the touch of love everyone becomes a poet.” — Plato
33. “When someone else’s happiness is your happiness, that is love.” — Lana Del Rey
34. “If I had a flower for every time I thought of you… I could walk through my garden forever.” — Alfred Tennyson
35. “When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive — to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.” — Marcus Aurelius
36. “The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart.” — Helen Keller
37. “It’s not about finding someone who won’t fight with you or make you sad. It is about finding the person who will still be standing there wiping the tears away, holding you in their arms after a fight. The one who will never leave, no matter how hard things get.”
38. “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” — Buddha
39. “The only thing we never get enough of is love; and the only thing we never give enough of is love.” — Henry Miller
40. “Life without love is like a tree without blossoms or fruit.” — Khalil Gibran
41. “When someone does something wrong, don’t forget all the things they did right.”
42. “’Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.” — Alfred Lord Tennyson
43. “The art of love is largely the art of persistence.” — Albert Ellis
44. “Relationships are hard work but when the work is put in the love is unstoppable.” — Dyllan Murray
45. “Love does not dominate; it cultivates.” — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
46. “We are most alive when we’re in love.” — John Updike
47. “I want you. I want us.”
Photo: Tumblr Gallery
48. “The love we give away is the only love we keep.” — Elbert Hubbard
49. “Love is so short, forgetting is so long.” — Pablo Neruda
50. “You deserve a relationship with someone who never has you guessing where you stand with them.”
Abby Jamison is an editorial intern who loves reading and writing above all else, but road trips are a close second. She finds most of her inspiration from feminism, LGBTQ+ history, and travel.