Happy Star Wars Day! What’s that? You don’t know what Star Wars Day is? Well, then it’s a good thing you’re reading this.
Fans of the movie franchise will know that “May the force be with you” is one of the most famous lines from the movie. And “May the 4th be with you” is a play on that very line. So punny, am I right?
But who actually came up with these popular May the fourth be with you memes?
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away… Margaret Thatcher became Prime Minister of the United Kingdom on — wait for it — May 4, 1979. Supposedly (because I wasn’t there to confirm), there was an ad taken out in The London Evening News congratulating Ms. Thatcher on her win: “May the Fourth Be with You, Maggie. Congratulations.”
The original Star Wars film was released in 1977, so it makes sense that it was fresh in everyone’s head as its popularity grew. Though, you probably would be denied a day off if you requested to observe Star Wars Day, as it is considered an unofficial holiday.
According to the official Star Wars website: While the idea of May the 4th did not start with Lucasfilm, the film company that created Star Wars has fully embraced the spirit of fandom that makes the day so special. StarWars.com and the official Star Wars social media channels (hashtag #StarWarsDay) help spread the word and showcase fan activity. More and more official partners have offered sales, giveaways, and exclusives, and have hosted parties and other activities to honor the day.
Walt Disney World, who bought out Lucasfilm in 2012, celebrates the day with Star Wars-related festivities and events. In a nod to Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, fans also came to celebrate May 5th by joining the “dark side” and declaring “Revenge of the Fifth.” And because this is the age of the internet where everything becomes a meme, so to have these phrases.
On May 4th and 5th, social media will be inundated with Star Wars and May the 4th memes. It’s also very likely that there are people who are absolutely sick of them, too!
So to prepare you, we’ve gathered 50 of the best Star Wars may the 4th memes for you to share and laugh at.
Let’s make Star Wars Day fun, guys! Because the sith… err, I mean, the revenge of the fifth is right around the corner!
1. “May the fourth be with you.”
2. “May the 4th be with you.”
3. “May the 4th be with ewe.”
4. “Happy Star Wars Day/May the 4th be ever in your favor.” — Gandalf
5. “May the fourth be… whatever. I don’t give a frak.”
6. “May the fourth be with you… because tomorrow is revenge of the fifth.”
7. “Oh, it’s May the 4th? Tell me about how much you love Star Wars.”
8. “Yoda Kitteh says ‘May the fourth be with you.'”
9. “Uuuuuuuur Ahhhhrrrrrr Uhrrr Ahhhhrrrrr Aaaargh… “
10. “May 4th is Star Wars Day… and all anyone cares about is getting drunk on the 5th.”
11. “May the fourthhhh be with you.”
12. “May the 4th be with you, Harry Potter-style.”
13. “I sense a disturbance, master… as though a million ‘May the 4th be with you’ memes were created.”
14. “May the fourth be…”/ “NO.”
15. “May the 4th be with you.”
16. “Guess what day it is?”
Photo: Star Wars
17. “So, may the fourth be with you all, now, here, thank you. How are you?”
18. “If today is ‘May the 4th be with you’, does that mean tomorrow is ‘Revenge of the 5th’?”
19. “May the 4th be with you? False. Star Wars Day is actually May the 25th.”
Photo: Reader’s Digest
20. “People with wildly interesting personalities waiting to post May the 4th be with you.”
21. “Before it was cool, saying ‘May the 4th be with you’ I was.”
22. “For every ‘May the Fourth be with you’ meme or tweet, another monster hornet is born.”
23. “When an old homie gets re-added to the group chat. But you low-key know he murdered a temple full of younglings.”
24. “Who invited him?”
25. “Brace yourself ‘May the fourth [star wars]’ posts are coming.”
26. “Don’t try to frighten us with your sorcerer’s ways Lord Vader…/ But is this your card?”
27. “Is it really May 4th if someone doesn’t post a ‘may the fourth be with you’ meme in the work Teams channel???”
28. “When someone thinks they can stump me with a piece of Star Wars trivia: ‘Friendly piece of advice, assume that I know everything.'”
29. “Those were the droids I was looking for.”
30. “Keep Calm and may the 4th be with you.”
31. “When there’s three Sith in the room but the rule of two exists”
32. “They see me rollin’. They hatin'”
33. “Working on #StarWarsDay be like…”
34. “Death Star 2: *exists* / Rebels: How many times do we have to teach you this lesson, old man?”
35. “I find your lack of enthusiasm for May the 4th memes disturbing.”
36. “You can’t describe the entire prequel trilogy with just one quote./ Calm down Anakin.”
37. “Need money for new death star”
38. “May the 4th be with you. Happy Star Wars day!”
39. “Star Wars week: May the 4th be with you. There’s always a bigger 5th. Revenge of the 6th. I am the 7th. That’s no moon, 8’s a space station. A 9 addition to my collection. It’s treason 10.”
40. “When you realize Solo is being released in May, but not on May 4th. / We were on the verge of greatness, we were this close.”
41. “Star Wars fans: You agreed to stay away!/ Order 66 scenes in The Bad Batch: I lied”
42. “May the fourth be with you until Cinco de Mayo…then you will feel the revenge of the sixth!”
Photo: Meme Generator
43. “Maybe you are old, but are you this old?/ Lego Star Wars the complete saga”
44. “Looking for love in Alderaan places”
45. “You can’t just cut people out of your life they never existed.”
46. “Try to get my dark side”
47. ” Star Wars Fans: You agreed to stay away!” Order 66 scenes in The Bad batch: I Lied.”
48. “When it’s May 4th but you don’t see any star wars memes / Impossible. Perhaps the archives are incomplete.”
49. “Maybe you are old, but are you this old? / Lego Star Wars the complete saga.”
50. “May the 4th is a Jedi holiday… Some of us have to work today.”
Photo: Reader’s Digest
Liza Walter is a writer who focuses on current events, lifestyle, pop culture, and true crime. You can follow her on Twitter @NerdyLiza.