Breaking up with someone you love is never easy. Letting go of the one you love — especially after weeks, months, or even years of accumulating treasured memories — can feel like tearing yourself in two.
But that’s life, sometimes people leave after falling in love and we have to cope.
Most of the time breakups are complicated. Trying to figure out what to say to break up to make the pain as minimal as possible won’t ease your pain or the pain of the other person. But whatever you do, please try to avoid the clichés out there!
Dealing with a breakup is hard because you don’t just stop loving that person overnight — there are several stages you go through. I personally stay in the “bathtub and eat ice cream” stage a lot to give me temporary happiness after a breakup.
The positive side of breakups is that learning how to move on also gives you an opportunity to learn about yourself as you heal your broken heart.
Taking a hiatus from love affords us the chance to get reacquainted with ourselves and helps us come to realize that we are not alone out there in our heartbreak.
People have suffered from broken hearts since pretty much the beginning of time.
And whether you’re ready to move on or still feeling a little raw from your emotions, reading and sharing inspirational — even if a tiny bit sad — breakup quotes about love and loss can help you feel less alone as you heal.
Here are the 50 best breakup quotes about moving on and learning to love all over again.
1. “You can love them, forgive them, want good things for them … but still move on without them.” — Mandy Hale
2. “Someday it’s gonna make sense.” —Michael Learns to Rock
3. “How do you know when it’s over?” “Maybe when you feel more in love with your memories than with the person standing in front of you.” —Gunnar Ardelius
4. “When someone leaves, it’s because someone else is about to arrive.” — Paulo Coelho
5. “How do you love someone and just… Walk away? Just like that. You just, go on as normal…. You get up, get dressed, go to work… How can you do that? How can you be okay with that?” —Ranata Suzuki
6. “Pain makes you stronger, fear makes you braver, heartbreak makes you wiser.” —Drake
7. Sometimes, I don’t know what haunts me more… The memories of you… Or the happy person I used to be.” —Ranata Suzuki
8. “The course of true love did never run smooth.” — William Shakespeare, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”
9. “Hearts will never be practical until they are made unbreakable.” — The Wizard of Oz
10. “Take a step back today, look at all those beautiful things you have.” — Rick Warren
11. “Ever has it been that love knows not its own death until the hour of separation.” — Khalil Gibran
12. “Breakups can be sad, but sometimes tears are the price we pay for a freedom we need.”― Steve Maraboli
13. “Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option.” — Mark Twain
14. “I didn’t lose you. You lost me. You’ll search for me inside of everyone you’re with and I won’t be found.” — R.H.Sin
15. “The hottest love has the coldest end.” — Socrates
16. “The hardest thing is not talking to someone you used to talk to every day.”—SumNan
17. “The heart was made to be broken.” — Oscar Wilde
18. “I always knew looking back on the tears would make me laugh, but I never knew looking back on the laughs would make me cry.” —Dr. Seuss
19. “Failed relationships can be described as so much wasted make-up.” — Marian Keyes, Watermelon
20. “The hardest thing I’ll ever do is walk away still loving you.” —Tracy Lawrence
21. “Don’t cry when the sun is gone because the tears won’t let you see the stars.” — Violeta Para
22. “If you suffer it is because of you, if you feel blissful it is because of you. Nobody else is responsible – only you and you alone. You are your hell and your heaven too.” —Osho
23. “No matter how hard your heart is broken, the world doesn’t stop for your grief.” — Faraaz Kazi
24. “We have to be whole people to find whole love” —Cheryl Strayed
25. “Love is unconditional. Relationships are not.” — Grant Gudmunson
26. “The way they leave tells you everything.”—Rupi Kaur, Answers
27. “I never hated a man enough to give his diamonds back.” — Zsa Zsa Gabor
28. “The toughest part of letting go is realizing the other person already did.”—Lalla
29. “Cheating and lying aren’t struggles. They’re reasons to break up.” — Patti Callahan Henry, Between The Tides
30. “He’s going to be sorry he lost you, so stop worrying. Forget the past, forget the pain and remember what an incredible woman you are.” —Drake
31. “I like my relationships like I like my eggs — over easy.” — Jared Kintz, It Occurred To Me
32. “Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.” — M. Kathleen Casey
33. “The secret of change is to focus all of your energy not on fighting the old, but on building the new.” —Socrates
34. “When you leave weary of me, without a word, I shall gently let you go.” — Kim Sowol
35. “Change is hard at first, messy in the middle and gorgeous at the end.” – Robin Sharma
36. “I’m tired of fighting. For once, I want to be fought for.”— The Quest Within
37. “Whatever you do, never run back to what broke you.” – Frank Ocean
38. “You made me feel like I was hard to love and I will never forgive you for that.”— Johnny Lauve
39. “You don’t need closure. You just need to give yourself permission to move on.” —Steve Harvey
40. “Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together” —Marilyn Monroe
41. “I can feel myself slowly fading from your mind.” —Hritwik Ghosh
42. “The poison leaves bit by bit, not all at once. Be patient. You are healing.” —Yasmin Mogahed
43. “I missed you until I realized there was never really anything to miss but the peace I felt before I knew you…” —R. H. Sin
44. “Let it hurt. Let it bleed. Let it heal. And let it go.” — Nikita Gill
45. “‘That’s what happens,’ she said. ‘You let people in, and they destroy you.'”— Hasna
46. “Mate, if you choose to lock your heart away, you lose it forever.” —Jack Sparrow
47. “How much of human life is lost in waiting.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson
48. “If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello.” —Paulo Coelho
49. “Don’t be sorry. I trusted you. My fault, not yours.” —Alfred Kubin
50. “Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.” —Dalai Lama
Alexandra Churchill is a digital editor based in New York City. Her work has been featured on numerous sites including The Huffington Post, Her Campus, USA TODAY College, and Northshore and Ocean Home magazines.