Have you ever wondered what true clinical depression feels like?
Not just your run-of-the-mill bummed out kind of a day type depression, but the kind of depression symptoms experienced by the people you know and love who suddenly pull away or off of social media or even, seemingly, the face of the Earth, and tell you there’s no one particular thing bothering them, they’re just severely depressed and can’t pull themselves out of it?
Everyone has a different experience with depression. But for me, it feels like constant sadness and pressure. Pressure on my heart. Pressure on my lungs. Pressure on my brain.
Sometimes living with depression literally feels as if there’s a tiny little demon living inside my brain whose sole purpose is to whisper negative thought after negative thought about me into my ear.
And sleep? You can just forget about sleeping.
Although there are different ways to deal with depression, like talking to your doctor, taking medication, and counseling, these treatments take time and aren’t always accessible for everyone.
Sometimes those around you just don’t get it, and they don’t know what to say or do to help you because they don’t know what it’s like to be not just sad, but depressed.
But I do. And many others out there do, too. You just have to look for them.
They might be your neighbor, your co-worker, and possibly even your super-positive, seemingly larger-than-life yoga instructor. These days depressed people are much more open about their depression, so all you have to do is open up and ask.
Some days though, all you can really do is throw up your hands and laugh.
So we found the best depression memes on the internet that perfectly nail what dealing with depression feels like.
1. “I guess I’m like a refrigerator with a burst pipe. Cool but broken inside.”
2. “Reasons to live:”
3. “When you’re depressed but you make strangers on the internet happy, ‘I guide others to a treasure I cannot possess.'”
4. “When you told yourself you’ll be more positive but life keeps trying you.”
5. “Me in my room imagining fake scenarios and hurting my own feelings.”
6. “People with stable mental health. I’ve been staring at this all day, I still don’t get it.”
7. “Yo you good bro? Yea I’m good.”
8. “Sticks and stones may break my bones, words will also hurt me. Compliments make me uncomfortable, I have social anxiety. I’m a wreck just go.”
9. “Do you have any long-term goals? Just death.”
10. “Hi, I’m depressed, and you’re watching my life fall apart.”
11. “When you find someone with the same mental disorder as you: You’re just like me. Trash.”
12. “When you’ve been social, active, and productive and that existential depression still hits you at the end of the day.”
13. “My poor mental health: Me:”
14. “I should deactivate all of my social media accounts.”
15. “I’m fine. Feeling I’m nothing to everyone.”
16. “Not knowing what I’m doing with my life. Crying.”
17. “Me who did nothing the whole week but took that long needed shower. It ain’t much but it’s honest work.”
18. “Not sure if I’m doing nothing because I’m depressed or I’m depressed because I’m doing nothing.”
19. “Dear Serotonin, I am sorry!! Please come back to me!”
20. “Distancing yourself when you’re depressed so you don’t bum everyone out and they make you feel bad for not hanging out anymore.”
21. “So what are you hoping to find in all those memes? Void fill.”
22. “When you’re depressed AF and someone says just don’t think about it.”
23. “Sometimes I just macarena through anxiety.”
24. “Me: It’s not even that serious. Inner me: Have a breakdown.”
25. “I be like ‘IDC’ then google therapists in my area.”
26. “Positive. Having too little self-esteem.”
27. “When you’re depressed but realize that you have no reason to be, which makes you feel worse.”
28. “Me wondering why I’m depressed: Why? Childhood memories that are actually traumatic events. Oh, that’s why.”
29. “Me thinking I’m finally getting better: Having another breakdown and realizing I was just repressing my emotions.”
30. “When you wanna hang out with people but your perpetual self-doubt makes you feel like you’re not really part of the group and they just tolerate you.”
31. “Wave of depression: Me too dead inside to care anymore.”
32. “Some optimist: At least at rock bottom you can only go up from here. Me:”
33. “People are always like ‘are you a morning person or a night person’ and I’m just like buddy I’m barely even a person.”
34. “I can fix it. My life.”
35. “Nobody: Me, waking up: Again? Seriously?”
36. “When you make plans while you’re in a good mood but then the day comes and you would actually rather die.”
37. “You can’t joke about depression, it’s a serious topic. People with depression:”
38. “For Halloween I’m gonna be emotionally stable. No one’s gonna know it’s me.”
39. “I woke up today and chose inconvenience.”
40. “When someone who has obviously never had depression before tells you to ‘just think positive.”
f you or someone you know is dealing with depression, call SAMHSA’s National Helpline (1-800-662-4357) for free, confidential, 24/7, 365-day-a-year treatment referral and information. For free and confidential emotional support, call 800-273-TALK no matter what problems or type of stress you’re dealing with.
Brittany White is a writer and a collector of crystals, moon trinkets, and mystery books. When she’s not writing for YourTango, you can find her obsessing over scary movies (with the exception of Freddy Krueger, of course).