Sometimes you need a good quote or saying to truly understand the importance of something.
With these promise quotes, you’ll be re-reminded about the importance of promises and how to keep your word.
Life is always changing and evolving. This includes everything from the things in our daily lives to our emotions. All of these things make some commitments hard to keep. The proof that sticking to your word can be hard is ingrained in our society.
A promise is an assurance similar to a vow or a pledge where one will do, give, or arrange something, undertake or declare that an event will happen. A promise is sacred and a verbal commitment that isn’t meant to be broken.
Promises are important because they mean the world to people; a promise is a solid commitment to do what you’re being asked by your friend, loved one, or by yourself that you must never break.
But promises being hard to keep doesn’t mean we should stop making them altogether. It just means we should be a little more careful about the commitments we make.
Maybe we should be making more realistic promises to ourselves and others. Because sometimes, a promise is all we have to hold onto in tough times. We need promises to keep us moving forward and keep us centered, realistic and hopeful.
Here are 35 promise quotes to give you a little more perspective regarding the importance of keeping your word and commitments.
1. “I know it is a bad thing to break a promise, but I think now that it is a worse thing to let a promise break you.” — Jennifer Donnelly.
2. “It makes my heart sick when I remember all the good words and the broken promises.” — Chief Joseph
3. “Those that are most slow in making a promise are the most faithful in the performance of it .” — Jean-Jacques Rousseau
4. “Don’t make promises you don’t intend to keep.”
5. “No matter how far, I won’t give up on you.”
6. “A gentleman makes commitments. A loser makes promises.”
7. “Personal promise: Each day I have to make a new promise to myself. To be braver than my past. To be stronger than my struggle. So that I may find a bigger adventure regardless of the risks.” — Chrissie Pinney
8. “Don’t promise when you’re happy. Don’t reply when you’re angry and don’t decide when you’re sad.”
9. “Promise yourself, no matter how hard it gets, you’ll never give up on your dreams.”
10. “The most important person to keep your promises to, is yourself.”
11. “Three things you should never break: promises, trust, and someone’s heart.”
12. “There is no greater fraud than a promise not kept.” — Gaelic Proverb
13. “Don’t talk, act. Don’t say, show. Don’t promise, prove.”
14. “Under promise. Over deliver.”
15. “Broken vows are like broken mirrors. They leave those who held to them bleeding and staring at fractured images of themselves.” — Richard Paul Evans
16. “A pinky is small, but the secrets it holds are huge.”
17. “I don’t trust words, I trust actions.”
18. “We worry about tomorrow like it’s promised.”
19. “A promise is a cloud, fulfillment is rain.”
20. “We promise forever in a world where even life is temporary.”
21. “I promise to plant kisses like seeds on your body, so in time you will grow to love yourself as I love you.”
22. “Promise me you’ll always remember you’re braver than you believe, you are stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” — Winnie the Pooh
23. “It’s not what a person tells you that matters. It’s how they treat you that reveals their true feelings. Their character is revealed not by the promises they make, but by the promises they keep.”
24. “People with good intentions make promises. But people with good character keep them.”
25. “Don’t promise to live forever. Promise to forever live while you’re alive.” — Atticus
26. “Promise is a big word. It either makes something or it breaks something.”
27. “Dear promises, don’t you feel bad for being broken over and over again?”
28. “I promise you, these storms are only trying to wash you clean.” — Jessica Katoff
29. “Promise yourself… to stress less and smile more. To have courage and strength to venture outside of your comfort zone. To leave your past behind you and appreciate this moment. Most importantly, promise yourself to always live a life you truly want to live.”
30. “If you promise to stay, I promise to never leave.”
31. “I promise if you keep searching for everything beautiful in this world, you will eventually become it.” — Tyler Kent White
32. “You don’t have to promise me the moon and stars. Just promise me that you will stand under them with me forever.”
33. “I don’t have much to offer, but I promise you can have the best of me.”
34. “There is no WiFi in the forest, but I promise you will find a better connection.”
35. “Promises are the uniquely human way of ordering the future, making it predictable and reliable to the extent that this is humanly possible.” — Hannah Arendt
Nicole Bradley-Bernard is a graduate of Central Washington University. She’s a freelance writer for FINE magazine and GreekRank.com