A single parent’s job is difficult because they’re playing the role of a mother and father, all while juggling work and keeping the household in check.
Some of the most hardworking and amazing people are single parents. I would know — I was raised by a single mother who immigrated from Vietnam in the late 80s.
My mother spent most of her life working so that she could earn enough money to send my brother and I to college. It’s her selfless, hardworking, strong personality I hope to have even a fraction of. For this, I understand and appreciate what all the single parents in this world do for their kids.
But one way to appreciate all these women do for their kids is by sending her single mom quotes that truly show your appreciation.
And inspiring quotes like that are especially necessary because some parents struggle with single mom syndrome. This “syndrome” is when a single mom becomes hung up on believing she will be alone for the rest of her life, and pays more attention to men than her child. It comes with some pretty bad symptoms including anxiety, increased heartbeat, sleep deprivation, and forgetfulness.
In fact, the U.S. Census Bureau reported that in 2009, there were 13.7 million single parents who were responsible for raising 22 million children. This statistic is applicable only in the U.S., which means there are probably a lot more single parents in the rest of the world. No wonder there’s so much pressure!
The road of parenthood is often lonely and dark for a single mom. So, telling her she’s going a great job and encouraging her strength are great things to say to a single mom. She’ll appreciate it because she might beat herself up sometimes and needs to remember she’s doing the best she can.
To appreciate all the single moms out there, ask her about her story, listen to her, and be compassionate. She needs someone to help her process her emotions, grieve, and give her strength. But the greatest thing you can do to help a single mom is to offer to watch her kids for the day, treat her to the spa, and never judge her.
Contrary to belief, most single parents are not living in poverty or on government assistance. The fact that single parents can function just as fine or even better than whole families is an accomplishment in itself.
But single parents are only human and they have emotions, too. Just like everyone else, they have their limits and breaking points, which are often hidden behind a strong and smiling facade.
Here are 35 relatable and inspiring single mom quotes to remind you how amazing these women really are, year-round.
1. “I’m always working, and I’m a single parent, so I don’t think I have time for stuff most normal people do.” — Charlie Murphy
2. “I was not prepared to live as a single parent.” — Annette Funicello
3. “When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child.” — Sophia Loren
4. “I was illustrating, and I was cleaning people’s houses; I was doing whatever I could to take care of my kid as a single parent.” — Emil Ferris
5. “Being a single mother is twice the work, twice the stress, and twice the tears, but also twice the hugs, twice the love, and twice the pride.”
6. “What is free time? I’m a single mother. My free moments are filled with loving my little girl.” — Roma Downey
7. “I’m a single parent. What’s your superpower?”
8. “She has to have four arms, four legs, four eyes, two hearts, and double the love. There is nothing single about a single mom.” — Mandy Hale
9. “Did you hear? Superheroes are real. They are called single moms.”
10. “A single mother has a backbone made of steel and a heart made of gold.”
11. “Just because I am a single mother doesn’t mean I cannot be a success.” — Yvonne Kaloki
12. “Being a single parent is not a life full of struggles, but a journey for the strong.” — Meg Lowrey
13. “Single moms: You are a doctor, a teacher, a nurse, a maid, a cook, a referee, a heroine, a provider, a defender, a protector, a true superwoman. Wear your cape proudly.” — Mandy Hale
14. “Being a working mother and a working single parent instills in you a sense of determination.” — Felicity Jones
15. “As a single mum, you’ll discover inner strengths and capabilities you never knew you had.” — Emma-Louise Smith
16. “I don’t think you necessarily have to be part of a traditional nuclear family to be a good mother. — Mary Louise Parker
17. ”I know it’s hard being a single parent, but I’d rather do it by myself than with someone who doesn’t want to.”
18. “I didn’t plan on being a single mom, but you have to deal with the cards you are dealt the best way you can.” — Tichina Arnold
19. “Being raised by a single mother, I learned to appreciate and value independent women.” — Kenny Conley
20. “Raising a family is difficult enough. But it’s even more difficult for single parents struggling to make ends meet. They don’t need more obstacles. They need more opportunities.” — Bill Richardson
21. “The most difficult part of dating as a single parent is deciding how much risk your own child’s heart is worth.” — Daniel Pearce
22. “God could not be everywhere, and therefore he made mothers.” — Rudyard Kipling
23. “You can raise good children in single-parent households, and many of you perhaps here today come from that type of environment. It is possible and many do it in heroic situations, but it’s much more difficult.” — Sam Brownback
24. “As a single mom, I’m juggling a lot and working long hours. Yes, it costs them a little, but what my children get in return is a mother who is energized and content.” — Edie Falco
25. “I was once a single mother, with very few resources, so I have a special place in my heart for women in difficult situations.” — Linda Lael Miller
26. “I would say to any single parent currently feeling the weight of stereotype or stigmatization that I am prouder of my years as a single mother than of any other part of my life.” — J.K. Rowling
27. “I think moms, single or not, put a lot of pressure on ourselves trying to balance it all. It’s never going to be perfectly balanced — the sooner you know this, the sooner you can relieve some of the pressure you put on yourself.” — Denise Richards
28. “I want to show the example that you can be a single mother and work and handle a lot of other things at the same time.” — Christina Milian
29. “Remember that a single mom is just like any other mom and that our number one priority is still our kids. Any parent does whatever it takes for their kids and a single mother is no different.” — Paula Miranda
30. “Mothers are the people who love us for no good reason. And those of us who are mothers know it’s the most exquisite love of all.” — Maggie Gallagher
31. “I’m not really single. I mean I am, but I have a song. Being a single mother is different from being a single woman.” — Kate Hudson
32. “When you look into your mother’s eyes, you know that is the purest love you can find on this earth.” — Mitch Albom
33. “Nothing you do for children is ever wasted.” — Garrison Keillor
34. “The best part of being a mom to me is unconditional love. I have never felt a love as pure, a love that’s as rewarding.” — Monica Denise Brown
35. “Dear mama, it doesn’t matter if you are a single mom or not, just remember that you are the best mom for your child and you are doing the best you can.”
Amy Le is a writer who covers astrology, pop culture, and relationship topics.