Divorce is one of the most painful and liberating transitions you can experience. When you’re feeling alone, these healing from divorce quotes can help soothe the pain.
The ups and downs of divorce are exceedingly extreme, and no matter how amicable or angry your divorce proceedings, you will have moments when you regret everything and moments where you rejoice as you never have before.
To cope with the grief and difficulties of divorce, turn to healing from divorce quotes in times of distress.
Life can be better after divorce. You can recover by developing healthy coping mechanisms and talking to a therapist.
Here are 33 motivational quotes about divorce to keep on hand for exactly those times where you have no idea where else to look.
Inspirational Divorce Quotes For Her
1. “Don’t base your decisions on the advice of those who don’t have to deal with the results.” — Joe King
2. “Don’t spend time beating on a wall, hoping it will transform into a door.” — Coco Chanel
3. “We must be willing to let go of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” — Joseph Campbell
4. “There will be many chapters in your life. Don’t get lost in the one you’re in now.” — Joe King
5. “I strongly believe children can thrive through divorce. Children need parents who love them. Children need to know they are safe. Children need stability and sometimes that’s much easier to achieve outside a marriage than in a broken one.” — Lisa Hayes
6. “You can learn a lot from your mistakes when you aren’t busy denying them.” — Drew A. Head
7. “You’re a diamond dear. They can’t break you.” — Helen Hywater
8. “There is a difference between giving up and knowing when you’ve had enough.” — Holly Wood
9. “Don’t cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.” — Doris Shutt
10. “Don’t get mad. Don’t get even. Do better. Much better. Rise above. Become so engulfed in your own success that you forget it ever happened.” — Anita Room
11. “It’s not too late at all. You just don’t yet know what you are capable of.” — Mahatma Gandhi
12. “‘It’s impossible,’ said pride. ‘It’s risky,’ said experience. ‘It’s pointless,’ said reason. ‘Give it a try,’ whispered the heart.” — Anita Bath
13. “You lose yourself trying to hold on to someone who doesn’t care about losing you.” — Drew A. Head
Inspirational Quotes For Him
14. “The fact that you’re not where you want to be should be enough motivation.” — Shirley U. Care
15. “Everybody has gone through something that changed them in a way that they could never go back to the person they once were.” — Imma Hog
16. “I never knew how strong I was until I had to forgive someone who wasn’t sorry and accept an apology I never received.” — Frank N. Stein
17. “Sometimes you don’t need to hear their excuses or what they have to say for themselves because their actions already spoke the truth.” — Brighton Early
18. “Life has no remote; get up and change it yourself.” — Al E. Gater
19. “I used to hope that you’d bring me flowers. Now I plant my own.” — Rachel Wolchin
20. “The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.” — Alan W. Watts
21. “Promise me you will not spend so much time treading water and trying to keep your head above the waves that you forget, truly forget, how much you have always loved to swim.” — Tyler Knott Gregson
Inspirational Divorce Quotes
22. “Serenity is what we get when we quit hoping for a better past.” — Horace Cope
23. “It’s so hard to leave — until you leave. And then it’s the easiest goddamned thing in the world.” — John Green
24. “You don’t have to see the whole staircase. Just take the first step.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.
25. “Starting today, I need to forget what’s gone, appreciate what still remains, and look forward to what’s coming next.” — Iona Mink
26. “This is the part where you find out who you are.” — Arty Fischel
27. “In any given moment we have two options: to step forward into growth or to step back into safety.” — Abraham Maslow
28. “We all have two lives. The second one starts when we realize we only have one.” — Tom Hiddleston
29. “The best thing you could do is master the chaos in you. You are not thrown into the fire, you are the fire.” — Mama Indigo
30. “You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestation of your own blessings.” — Elizabeth Gilbert
31. “The door is wide and open, don’t go back to sleep.” — Rumi
32. “I promise you, these storms are only trying to wash you clean.” — Jessica Katoff
33. “Drink from the well of yourself and begin again.” — Charles Bukowski
Deputy Editor Arianna Jeret, MA/MSW, is a former family law mediator, divorce coach, and recognized expert on love and relationships. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram.