It’s the most wonderful time of the year. Winter may be dark and cold, but with a positive attitude about the chilly season, you can fill your heart with warmth and open your mind to admire the beauty of snowfall.
The winter season brings not only snow with it but special holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and more.
It’s the best time to cuddle up with your family members and loved ones by the fire and enjoy fun winter activities like skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, and sledding.
It’s sometimes easy to lose sight of the sense of wonder winter can bring because of how cold it gets and how dark it gets.
If you need to lift your spirits up and remind yourself about all the positive things that winter can bring, then you can read these quotes and remind yourself of how great it can be.
Here are 30 quotes about winter to warm your soul.
1. “It is the life of the crystal, the architect of the flake, the fire of the frost, the soul of the sunbeam. This crisp winter air is full of it.” — John Burroughs
2. “Winter forms our character and brings out our best.” — Tom Allen
3. “It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold: when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade.” — Charles Dickens
4. “I love the scents of winter! For me, it’s all about the feeling you get when you smell pumpkin spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, gingerbread, and spruce.” — Taylor Swift
5. “Snow flurries began to fall and they swirled around people’s legs like house cats. It was magical, this snow globe world.” — Sarah Addison Allen
6. “Snow brings a special quality with it — the power to stop life as you know it dead in its tracks.” — Nancy Hatch Woodward
7. “I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields, that it kisses them so gently? And then it covers them up snug, you know, with a white quilt; and perhaps it says, ‘go to sleep, darlings, till the summer comes again.” — Lewis Carroll
8. “If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome.” — Anne Bradstreet
9. “Winter, a lingering season, is a time to gather golden moments, embark upon a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour.” — John Boswell
10. “To appreciate the beauty of a snowflake, it is necessary to stand out in the cold.” — Aristotle
11. “I love snow for the same reason I love Christmas. It brings people together while time stands still.” — Rachel Cohn
12. “There’s just something beautiful about walking in snow that nobody else has walked on. It makes you believe you’re special.” — Carol Rifka Brunt
13. “Snow provokes responses that reach right back to childhood.” — Andy Goldsworthy
14. “The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in another quite different.” — J.B. Priestley
15. “He who marvels at the beauty of the world in summer will find equal cause for wonder and admiration in winter.” — John Burroughs
16. “A snow day literally and figuratively falls from the sky — unbidden — and seems like a thing of wonder.” — Susan Orlean
17. “December’s wintery breath is already clouding the pond, frosting the pane, obscuring summer’s memory …” — John Geddes, “A Familiar Rain”
18. “Thank goodness for the first snow, it was a reminder — no matter how old you became and how much you’d seen, things could still be new if you were. willing to believe they still mattered.” — Candace Bushnell
19. “The color of springtime is in the flowers; the color of winter is in the imagination.” — Terri Guillemets
20. “In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy.” — William Blake
21. “We cannot stop the winter or the summer from coming. We cannot stop the spring or the fall or make them other than they are. They are gifts from the universe that we cannot refuse. But we can choose what we will contribute to life when each arrives.” — Gary Zukhav
22. “Winter is a season of recovery and preparation.” — Paul Theroux
23. “Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.” — Edith Sitwell, “Taken Care Of”
Related Stories From YourTango:
24. “Advice is like the snow. The softer it falls, the longer it dwells upon and the deeper it sinks into the mind.” — Samuel Taylor Coleridge
25. “People don’t notice whether it’s winter or summer when they’re happy.” — Anton Chekhov
26. “The fire is winter’s fruit.” — Arabian Proverb
27. “I prefer winter and fall when you feel the bone structure of the landscape — the loneliness of it; the dead feeling of winter. Something waits beneath it, the whole story doesn’t show.” — Andrew Wyeth
28. “‘Hear! hear!’ screamed the jay from a neighboring tree, where I had heard a tittering for some time, ‘winter has a concentrated and nutty kernel if you know where to look for it.'” — Henry David Thoreau
29. “They who sing through the summer must dance in the winter.” — Italian Proverb
30. “In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.” — Albert Camus
Megan Hatch is a writer at YourTango who covers news & entertainment, love & relationships, and internet culture. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram.