For those of us who don’t get any seasonal changes, it can be difficult to tell when it’s actually winter (and not just a random day with a 30-degree temperature drop that will be back to 90 by noon).
Luckily, we’ve learned that it starts on the longest night of the year — the winter solstice on December 21, 2021.
And thanks to some funny winter solstice memes, we can sarcastically learn the difference between what feels like winter and the actual first day of winter.
But winter — for most people who don’t spend the majority of their time laying on the beach — is a really big deal, filled with snow, ice, shovels, layers of clothes, heaters, glass scrapers, and fireplaces. So it’s understandable that the coldest season of the year doesn’t seem to get as much praise as its warmer counterparts.
With the exception of everyone feeling giddy with cheer during the holidays and singing songs like “Let It Snow” and “White Christmas,” winter actually looks pretty miserable. Have you seen all those people shivering on the TV as they line up in the middle of New York City in their warmest coats and layers to watch the ball drop on New Year’s Eve? That can’t be fun. Even the performers can’t keep a tune as they hold their mic, which probably feels like an ice cube.
Yeah, no thanks.
You’re probably not prepared for months of cold and whatever other bombshells 2022 will drop as the days get colder.
So, let these funny winter solstice memes help you cope with what’s sure to be a cold, dark start to the new year.
28 Funny Winter Solstice Memes
1. “On a positive note, I haven’t seen any mosquitos in weeks.”
One of the (very few) benefits of the bitterly cold winter.
2. “Today, celebrate Solstice. Tomorrow, a few more minutes of sun…”
It’s a love/hate relationship.
3. “Happy Solstice! It’s the longest night of the year, but aren’t they all?”
If you’re not a night owl.
4. “Winter Solstice is my favorite Pagan holiday co-opted by Christians.”
We really, really miss the sun.
5. “Opening the shower curtain in the winter be like…”
6. “OMG the winter solstice. It’s almost summer.”
If almost means six months from now, then yes.
7. “Winter Solstice is the shortest day of the year. The days are getting longer again.”
It’s there… and then it’s gone.
8. “Could the sun’s celestial meridian be any lower?”
Actually, no, it couldn’t.
9. “Winter coat? You mean chest hairs.”
I’d like to see how this pans out.
10. “Thanks for making the longest day of the year longer by explaining why it’s the longest day of the year.”
Wait… I’m confused.
11. “Every night without you is the longest night!”
Especially the night of the Winter Solstice, which is even longer.
12. “Defrosting? Ain’t nobody got time for that!”
13. “OMG winter is already here. False. The winter solstice is on December 21 or 22 of each year.”
So technically, this meme is inaccurate as of today.
14. “I love winter fashion. Am I wearing what I slept in underneath? Maybe, but who knows?”
One of the major perks of winter.
15. “Going to school in the morning. Going home after school. I hate winter.”
Alaskans be like…
16. “Welcome to winter: where parking spots are made up and the lines don’t matter.”
I always wondered how things street lines worked up North during the winter.
17. “My favorite winter activity is going back inside.”
Admit it: snow may be pretty… pretty miserable.
18. “Oh, you like winter? Please, tell us again, how much you aren’t ready for spring.”
Getting ready for the onslaught of winter memes.
19. “Winter’s coming… Be prepared.”
Winter fashion is going to look a little different this year.
20. “What’s your favorite thing about winter? When it’s over.”
When you can’t wait until the sun comes out again.
21. There are two types of people in the winter.
I’m the latter.
Related Stories From YourTango:
22. “Every day I’m shovelin.”
Way to make it fun.
23. “Don’t tell us how much snow fell. We have our own snow gauge.”
How they pass the time in Alaska this time of year.
24. “Happy Winter Solstice! From today on the days get lighter and lighter!”
Technically, it all gets better from here.
25. “Brace yourself. Winter is coming… today actually.”
You’re out of luck.
26. “Definitely me today and probably me for the next 4 months.”
27. “Oh, it’s only 4PM? I think I’ll go outside and enjoy a little daylight. Aaaaaand it’s gone.”
Well, that was quick!
28. “First cold day of winter. Find ten bucks in coat pocket.”
Thanks, past me!
Kayla Cavanagh is Managing Editor for YourTango.