The only way we can ever really get through life is by being happy. Otherwise, what is the point in living?
But sometimes, there is nothing harder than being happy, but being reminded through some create your own happiness quotes can help change that mindset.
We all know we try and we try but it’s not always so easy as following steps to try to live a happier life. Often there are things that happen in our lives that we let get in our way. Friendships ending, a fight with someone we love, something going wrong with something you ordered online…there are so many little things that we let determine our happiness.
However, we shouldn’t let the little things determine our happiness, or more precisely, other people. The best saying in life is to be your own happiness in this world.
Whether we are fortunate enough to spend our days with someone we love or are thoroughly enjoying our single life, there is only one person who should decide if you’re in a happy or unhappy mood or not: you.
After all, life is a series of ups and downs and the only way to know which is how you look at it.
Here are 27 reminders of your own happiness quotes to know you are in charge.
1. “Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.” — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus
2. “To be happy you must be your own sunshine.” — C. E. Jerningham
3. “Happiness is a choice that requires effort at times.” — Aeschylus
4. “You are responsible for your own happiness. If you expect others to make you happy, you will always be disappointed.”
5. “If you want happiness for an hour, take a nap. If you want happiness for a day, go fishing. If you want happiness for a month, get married. If you want happiness for a year, inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime, help somebody else.” — Chinese Proverb
6. “The greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances.” — Martha Washington
7. “Happiness consists more in the small conveniences of pleasures that occur every day, than in great pieces of good fortune that happen but seldom to a man in the course of his life.” ― Benjamin Franklin
8. “Don’t rely on someone else for your happiness and self-worth. Only you can be responsible for that.” — Stacey Charter
9. “We are never really happy until we try to brighten the lives of others.” — Helen Keller
10. “Most folks are as happy as they make their mind up to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
11. “In my life I’ve learned that true happiness comes from giving. Helping others along the way makes you evaluate who you are. I think that love is what we’re all searching for. I haven’t come across anyone who didn’t become a better person through love.” — Marla Gibbs
12. “Happiness depends upon ourselves.” — Aristotle
13. “Remember happiness doesn’t depend upon who you are or what you have; it depends solely on what you think.” — Dale Carnegie
14. “The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one does.” — James M. Barrie
15. “If you want to be happy, do not dwell in the past, do not worry about the future, focus on living fully in the present.” — Roy T. Bennett
16. “The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet.” — James Oppenheim
17. “When all is said and done, the one sole condition that makes spiritual happiness and preserves it is the absence of doubt.” — Mark Twain, “Eruption”
18. “Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.” — Thich Nhat Hanh
19. “Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.” — Mahatma Gandhi
20. “If you want to be happy, be.” — Leo Tolstoy
21. “Life will bring you pain all by itself. Your responsibility is to create joy.” — Milton Erickson
22. “Happiness is not something ready-made. It comes from your own actions.” — Dalai Lama
23. “The happiest people in the world are those who feel absolutely terrific about themselves, and this is the natural outgrowth of accepting total responsibility for every part of their life.” — Brian Tracy
24. “It’s been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will.” — L.M. Montgomery
25. “The grass is always greener where you water it.”
26. “It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.” — Charles Spurgeon
27. “Happiness is an inside job. Don’t assign anyone else that much power over your life.” — Mandy Hale
Estee Kahn is a writer and amateur photographer who writes all about love — dating, relationships, friendships, yourself, and family. Follow her on Instagram.