It can be quite difficult when the most important people in your life are miles and miles away. But at the very least, realizing how much you miss your family offers you an opportunity to reflect on the memories you share.
And sometimes, the best way to show those relatives (and friends who are so close they may as well be family) how much you miss them is by sending them sweet “missing you” quotes to bridge the distance.
The right sayings can be perfect gifts that let friends and family members know just how much you care about them, no matter how far apart you are or how long it will be until you can see them again.
These thoughtful quotes about how much you love and miss their company will be something that you will both enjoy.
After all, your closest family and friends share something beautiful in common — they love and support you through the most difficult and lonely of times.
And yet, no matter how lucky and grateful we know we are to have them in our lives, sometimes it can be hard for us to express just how much we appreciate them and how much they mean to us.
These 25 quotes for when you miss your family are the perfect way to get your message across, no matter how far the distance
1. “It’s always nice to have someone in your life who can make you smile even when they’re not around.” — Unknown
Photo: Marjan Apostolovic / Shutterstock
Let them know how happy they make you.
2. “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” — A.A. Milne, “Winnie the Pooh”
Goodbyes are the worst when you love someone.
3. “Missing you comes in waves, tonight I’m drowning.” — Unknown
When you miss them every day.
4. “Even if I spent the whole day with you. I will miss you the second you leave.” — Unknown
When you can never spend too much time together.
5. “Hey … I miss you.” — Unknown
Keep it sweet and simple.
6. “Goodbyes are not forever, are not the end; it simply means I’ll miss you until we meet again.” — Unknown
It’s not goodbye, it’s see you later.
7. “Dad, remembering you is easy, I do it every day. Missing you is the heartache that never goes away.” — Unknown
Photo: Bricolage / Shutterstock
Missing dad can be the hardest.
8. “Distance gives us a reason to love harder.” — Unknown
Distance makes the heart grow fonder.
9. “No matter how bad things got between us I still miss you and wish nothing but the best for you.” — Unknown
When you only want the best for each other.
10. Let them know how much you are thinking of them.
“You may be out of my sight … but never out of my mind … I miss you … ” — Unknown
11. “I miss you like the mountains miss the sky.” — Unknown
Photo: everst / Shutterstock
A metaphor for love.
12. Give virtual hugs to your loved ones.
“I just hugged you in my thoughts … Hope you felt the squeeze!” — Unknown
13. “I miss you more than words can say.” — Unknown
When words aren’t enough.
14. “The thought of being with you tomorrow, is what gives me the strength to go on today.” — Unknown
Express how their love for you keeps you going.
15. “Talking to you makes my day.” — Unknown
To the loved one who makes your day.
16. “There’s no substitute for someone who gets you.” — Unknown
When you just get each other.
17. “You will always be … the sister of my soul, the friend of my heart.” — Unknown
When you’re missing your sister.
23. “Good friends are like stars. You don’t always see them, but they’re always there.” — Unknown
Tell your friends how special they are.
19. “Close together or far apart, you’re forever in my heart.” — Unknown
Photo: Motortion Films / Shutterstock
Remind them that they will be always in your heart.
20. “I don’t hate you. I never will. I just act like I do. Because it’s easier than admitting that I miss you.” — Unknown
It’s all out of love.
21. “I miss you, not the ‘I haven’t seen you in a while’ kind of miss you, but the ‘I wish you were here at this very moment’ kind of miss you.” — Unknown
I miss all of you.
22. “When I miss you, it seems every song I listen to is about you.” — Unknown
When missing them bleeds into music.
23. “I love you past the moon and miss you beyond the stars.” — JmStorm
When you feel worlds apart.
24. “Brother. You may not know that you are the best gift I ever got, I will always be there with you in every up and down of life.” — Unknown
Some brotherly heart-to-heart feels.
25. “True friends are never apart. Maybe in distance but never in heart.” — Unknown
When your friends become part of your family.
Jonathan Mui is a writer who covers astrology, pop culture and relationship topics.