Falling in love can be one of the most beautiful things — many people say love makes the world go round. But with love, a lot of time, comes heartbreak. Breaking up is a very confusing time for someone just getting out of a relationship because they feel so many different emotions — from being angry or sad, being in denial, or maybe even trying to beg the other person to take you back — feeling your heart break is painful in every way.
When people get heartbroken they often sit at home eating ice cream and crying, watching Legally Blonde (speaking from personal experience). Others just go out to party to blow off steam.
People handle heartbreak very differently, no matter what happened or how you deal with grief, know your feelings are valid. It is okay to feel this way, everyone has gone through some sort of loss and heartbreak in their life.
Life is not meant to be a fairytale, you will fall down and get hurt every once in a while. When going through heartbreak we think “I am the only one feeling this”, but the truth is you are not. Popular celebrities like Lizzo have gone through heartbreak, and the gorgeous man himself Liam Hemsworth is going through heartbreak as we speak (not sure how Miley can get over him).
If Miley Cyrus can get over Liam Hemsworth, you can too.
Let yourself cry, and be sad; but just know one day you won’t feel this way anymore, some days will be harder than others and then other days you will feel like you are completely free of those emotions.
Just know that one day you will be fine, you won’t feel sad or hurt buy this anymore. Eventually it will get easier, and the memories you have from that person won’t hurt as much. It is okay to feel sad, you will get over this.
So turn on those sad songs, eat your ice cream, and read some of the sad quotes about breaking up and heartbreaking Instagram poems about lost love to help ease your broken heart through the stages of grief.
1. Missing someone is the hardest thing to get over.
“What a terrible thing to do missing someone who hasn’t thought about you.” — R.H. Sin
2. There is a huge difference between missing someone, and wanting them.
“She missed you but didn’t want you back.” — R.H. Sin
3. Someone’s words can say a lot.
“It’s ironic is it not? That someone so unworthy of my words could fill me with them.” — Cindy Cherie
4. If you love someone you wouldn’t want them to feel defeated.
“You didn’t love her. You just didn’t want to be alone. Or maybe, maybe she was good for your ego. Or, or maybe she made you feel better about your miserable life, but you didn’t love her. Because you don’t destroy people you love.” — Grey’s Anatomy
5. People want to feel missed.
“Just because I don’t talk to you or text you first, doesn’t mean I don’t miss you, I’m just waiting for you to miss me.” — Unknown
6. People can also be a bad habit.
“You told me you were leaving because I smoke cigarettes I stopped smoking in fear of losing you forever. I went by your place to tell you that I broke my bad habit, I saw you pressing your lips against someone new; my walk home and the only thing pressed to my lips was a cigarette, I guess it’s time to quit my bad habit, you.” — Unknown
7. Forgiveness is mandatory if you want someone to remain in your life.
“Did we fade away?” — Unknown
8. I loved you, but you didn’t love me.
“I may have lost someone who didn’t love me, but you’ve lost someone who truly loves you.” — Unknown
9. Heartbreak can change a person.
“After love, no one is what they were before.” — Unknown
10. You cannot be with someone who dims your light.
“Stop looking for happiness in the same place you lost it.” — Unknown
11. In order to heal, you must leave and let go.
“You can not heal in the same toxic environment that broke you.” — Unknown
12. Just the look of someone can give you feelings over and over.
“I hate seeing you because you bring back I tried so hard to forget about.” — Unknown
13. It is hard to not have someone in your life anymore.
“It hurts every day, the absence of someone who was once there.” — Unknown
14. Time will heal you, and eventually you will find someone who makes you feel happiness all the time.
“It can be hard to let go of anyone you fell for but it gets easier with time and then someone else comes along and takes you by surprise and makes you theirs forever.” — Unknown
15. A broken heart will eventually heal and become stronger.
“What is stronger than the human heart which shatters over and over and still lives.” — Rupi Kaur
16. You must know exactly what hurt you, and accept it to move on.
“To heal you have to get the root of the wound and kiss it all the way up.” — Rupi Kaur
17. Never blame yourself for someone not falling in love with you.
“He can’t love you, it’s not your fault.” — R.H. Sin
18. Give yourself time to heal before you fall in love again.
“We all require healing at one point or another. Take time to heal your wounds. Take the time to heal your heart. It does no good to think about running the marathon when you still have a broken foot.” — Cleo Wade
19. Every amount of loss hurts.
“When you lose someone you love, it makes no difference whether they’re a family member or your soulmate. It hurts the same.” — Lang Leav
20. Not every memory can be beautiful.
“Perhaps in a different time, I would have named us hope. Perhaps in a different universe we would not meet so battleworn. And I would call us forgiveness, and not remember us as war.” — Nikita Gill
21. Once someone is over a lost love, they don’t want it back.
“You should have loved me when I gave a f-ck.” — R.H. Sin
22. You will be happy again.
“The happiness will come slowly, the way light filters in through the window in the early morning hours. So slowly you don’t even notice the night is ending, until you wake up and see the sunlight.” — C.K.
23. Sometimes you do so much for a person, sadly they won’t give it back in return.
“I never told you how much damage you did. My limbs were not meant to bend in those directions.” — C.K.
24. I won’t be able to forget about you no matter what I do.
“Stranger, to lovers, to stranger again you vanished and somehow you’ve taken my pen no crying or writing-nothing will come out. I’m just left over to suffocate inside my doubt strangers to lovers, to strangers once more but no longer the person that I was before I can’t wash your fingerprints off of my skin love is a game, guess I let you win.” — C.K.
25. Keep being who you are, he shouldn’t matter.
“Let him go, keep yourself.” — R.H. Sin
Danielle Vickers is a writer who covers pop culture, astrology, and relationship topics.