Mother and daughter bonds are the sweetest, most real, and have purest love, even though it’s quite a complicated relationship.
When we think of cute mother/daughter relationships on TV shows, the first one that comes to mind is Lorelai and Rory Gilmore from the early 2000s series, “Gilmore Girls,” and its 2016 Netflix revival, “Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life.”
Lorelai had her daughter Rory when she was just 16 years old in high school. She ran away from her wealthy family to start her own life and never regretted it.
Lorelai named her daughter after herself, but everyone called her Rory. Because she was raised by a young, single mom, Rory looked up to Lorelai and considered her so much more than a mother; she was a best friend.
Through endless ‘Gilmore Girls’ quotes, you can tell Lorelai and Rory are best friends on the show, telling each other everything, joking around, and even arguing as friends do.
Lorelai and Rory have a bond that is unbreakable and pop culture viewers couldn’t get enough of the mother/daughter duo.
The Gilmore Girls have said some funny things over the course of the show, and many fans still quote silly lines from the series. Lorelai was a cool mom, and even though she’s a TV character, she provided a great example of how to raise a child.
Lorelai was there for every heartbreak Rory faced, every school event, and every milestone moment in her daughter’s life. They made each other a priority and that’s what was so special about the mother-daughter duo.
Having a mother is having a best friend for life. In mother-daughter relationships, we have each other’s backs and we’ll take care of each other, always.
Here are 20 mother-daughter quotes from ‘Gilmore Girls’ that prove Lorelai and Rory had the best relationship.
1. “You do know that if you weren’t so pretty you would’ve gotten the crap kicked out of you every day of your life.” — Lorelai Gilmore
You have your genes to thank for your beauty. Lorelai makes sure to remind Rory of her special privilege of having her mother’s looks.
2. “If you put ‘oy’ and poodle in the same sentence, you’d have a great new catchphrase. Like, ‘Oy with the poodles already.'” — Lorelai Gilmore
Without catchphrases, Lorelai and Rory would be missing a special part of their relationship. It also helps them converse in secret codes.
3. “I’m fine. I’m just being dramatic. It’s what I do.” — Lorelai Gilmore
When your mom vents to you (Lorelai does this a lot), it helps! These two have zero secrets with each other and can trust the other with anything and everything.
4. “Dinner should probably be something healthy since we’ve been eating junk the whole trip.” — Rory Gilmore
“We had lettuce on our burgers last night.” — Lorelai Gilmore
“You picked it off.” — Rory Gilmore
“It left its essence.” — Lorelai Gilmore
When you and your mom hate eating healthy, great minds think alike. Who needs greens anyway?
5. “And if eating cake is wrong, I don’t want to be right.” — Lorelai Gilmore
Who wouldn’t love sweets when your best friend, your mom, is a master chef and a star baker?
6. “I hate when I’m an idiot and don’t know it. I like to be aware of my idiocy. To revel in it, take pictures. We’ve missed a prime Christmas card opportunity.” — Lorelai Gilmore
When you realize how dumb you were acting, the two of you can also understand each other’s incomprehensible babbling.
7. “A real date? Finally! What are you gonna wear?” — Rory Gilmore
“Glass slippers, a backwards baseball cap and nothing else.” — Lorelai Gilmore
For single moms, their kids may sometimes not be open to their parent dating. But when you can joke about your love life, it just makes it easier for your mom to be more open.
8. “You have so many years of screw-ups ahead of you.” — Lorelai Gilmore
When your mom gives you words of wisdom, she’s your go-to whenever you need help. And no topic is off-limits or too personal.
9. “I even cleaned the table using something other than the sleeve of my sweater and spit.” — Lorelai Gilmore
Nobody likes cleaning, but doing it with your favorite person makes it so much easier. The two of you know what lazy is and agree that you don’t care.
10. “I cannot do this alone. I need my mommy and I don’t care who knows it.” — Rory Gilmore
You’ll always want your mom, no matter how old you get. Your mom is the first person you go to in life whenever something is troubling you. She’s always going to be there for you.
11. “You’re drawing me into your drunken world.” — Rory Gilmore
“It’s not a bad place to be, my friend.” — Lorelai Gilmore
When your mom starts blabbering on, if you two can understand each other or are drinking too much, that just makes you even closer.
12. “But you don’t come home to do your laundry. You come home to see your mama.” — Lorelai Gilmore
Most people make lame excuses to come home from college to see mom. The hardest part about leaving to go anywhere is leaving her. But even if you’re afraid to admit it, your mom will always be home to you.
13. “Every relationship is just a big honking leap of faith.” — Rory Gilmore
When you need to let out your feelings, you can talk about life and love with your mom because she’s been through it all, just like you. She knows what to do and is the relationship guru.
14. “How come you’re not excited about life?” — Lorelai Gilmore
“I find nothing exciting before 11:00.” — Rory Gilmore
This might not be possible, but it sure sounds realistic, which is inheriting not being a morning person. Like Rory and Lorelai, you might also have a coffee addiction passed down from your mother.
15. “Come here, you’ve got some dirt on your forehead. I’m sorry. It’s the sign of the devil. My mistake.” — Lorelai Gilmore
When your mom jokes around with you, even the meanest jokes can be laughable; your mother would never intentionally try and hurt you.
16. “Okay, let’s be organized. Make it fast, make it snappy, and if there’s any impulse buying, make it chocolate.” — Lorelai Gilmore
When you’re in a rush, there’s always room for dessert. Being organized is a blessing to have, and mothers are great at teaching their daughters that skill… plus how to always save time for chocolate.
17. “You have to sleep, it’s what keeps you pretty.” — Lorelai Gilmore
When you need your beauty rest, moms tell no lies, especially Lorelai. That’s the truth. Just look how young she still looks.
18. “Our house is burning and you can save the cake or me. What do you choose?” — Rory Gilmore
“That’s not fair. The cake doesn’t have legs.” — Lorelai Gilmore
When you ask a tough question, mom will know the answer. Because desserts always matter in this house. Choose wisely or ask more fair questions.
19. “Hey, let’s look into each other’s eyes and say ‘I wish I were you’ at exactly the same time. Maybe we’ll pull a ‘Freaky Friday’.” — Lorelai Gilmore
“Or we can just pretend like we did, and you can go around acting really immature. Oh, wait…” — Rory Gilmore
Your mom might still be a kid at heart. If your mom is like Lorelai, she’s the ultimate cool mom because she’s effortlessly herself and doesn’t care what people think of her. Well, except maybe her mother.
20. “My mother never gave me any idea that I couldn’t do whatever I wanted to do or be whomever I wanted to be… As she guided me through these incredible eighteen years, I don’t know if she ever realized that the person I most wanted to be was her.” — Rory Gilmore
Be thankful to your mom for raising you to be the woman you are today. It’s because of your mom that you are you! Appreciate her and let her know how much you love her.
Lauren Margolis is a writer who covers astrology, pop culture and relationship topics.