The best romantic quotes are those you want to share with the beautiful person you want to spend the rest of your life with, because they seem to almost magically express the sweetest things they make you feel.
The beginning of true love, the falling in love part, gives us starry eyes and the feeling of butterflies in our stomachs. Being firmly and securely in love gives us someone who is our best friend — someone to dance and dine with, someone to have adventures with.
Love makes us do things like this. And as it grows, love gives us a confidante — that special someone to share our deepest, darkest secrets, highest hopes and wildest dreams with.
Sweet love means always having someone around who understands us, even without having to tell them specifically what’s going on in our hearts and minds at any particular moment. Love means having someone who always put you first, even if you yourself don’t. And love assures us that we will never be alone.
It’s for these reasons we write or read romantic poetry and sing love songs. And it’s why we rounded up this collection of the best romantic love quotes for him or her from poets, authors, famous figures and lovers around the world.
Yes, you can make your partner feel more secure by reading them the most romantic lines, such as “You are as rare a diamond.” Or, you can go for the most romantic sayings like, “Without love, there is no joy in this world.”
And if you want to express your love on social media, give your post the best caption for love with something like, “All you need is love.” A short love line will also do — maybe something like “you are the sun to my moon” — whether it’s from poetry, a song or a novel.
The point is, you want to show the person you love how deeply you care for them. And these romantic quotes are the way to go.
Best Romantic Love Quotes For Him And Her
1. “The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” — Victor Hugo
There is nothing greater than being loved.
2. “There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment.” ― Sarah Dessen, “The Truth About Forever”
Love is instantaneous and happens when you least expect it.
3. “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” ― Dr. Seuss
No dream could possibly be better.
4. “‘There is no pretending,’ Jace said with absolute clarity. ‘I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I’ll love you then.'” ― Cassandra Clare, “City of Glass”
Love cannot be faked.
5. “You know that when I hate you, it is because I love you to a point of passion that unhinges my soul.” ― Julie de Lespinasse
Love ignites the greatest passion of our lives.
6. “I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you simply, without problems or pride: I love you in this way because I do not know any other way of loving but this, in which there is no I or you.” ― Pablo Neruda, “100 Love Sonnets”
There is no other way to love.
7. “Your hand touching mine. This is how galaxies collide.” ― Sanober Khan
Love is astronomical.
8. “Promise me you’ll never forget me, because if I thought you would, I’d never leave.” ― A.A. Milne, “The Complete Tales Of Winnie-The-Pooh”
Love always remembers.
9. “Two people in love, alone, isolated from the world, that’s beautiful.” ― Milan Kundera
When you’re in love, you need nothing and no one else.
10. “I crossed a thousand leagues to come to you, and lost the best part of me along the way. Don’t tell me to leave.” ― George R.R. Martin, “A Storm of Swords”
No journey for love is too far.
11. “You can’t force love, I realized. It’s there or it isn’t. If it’s not there, you’ve got to be able to admit it. If it is there, you’ve got to do whatever it takes to protect the ones you love.” ― Richelle Mead, “Frostbite”
There can be no forcing love.
12. “For the two of us, home isn’t a place. It is a person. And we are finally home.” ― Stephanie Perkins, “Anna And The French Kiss”
Your love is your home.
13. “But love, I’ve come to understand, is more than three words mumbled before bedtime. Love is sustained by action, a pattern of devotion in the things we do for each other every day.” ― Nicholas Sparks, “The Wedding”
Love is so much more than those three little words.
14. “Anyone who falls in love is searching for the missing pieces of themselves. So anyone who’s in love gets sad when they think of their lover. It’s like stepping back inside a room you have fond memories of, one you haven’t seen in a long time.” ― Haruki Murakami
Love provides your missing pieces.
15. “Lost love is still love. It takes a different form, that’s all. You can’t see their smile or bring them food or tousle their hair or move them around a dance floor. But when those senses weaken another heightens. Memory. Memory becomes your partner. You nurture it. You hold it. You dance with it.” ― Mitch Albom
True love never ends.
16. “The very essence of romance is uncertainty.” ― Oscar Wilde
Love is the great unknown.
17. “Attraction is not an option.” ― Neil Strauss
When you love someone, attraction is a given.
18. “One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.” ― Sophocles
The true meaning of freedom is love.
19. “Love is a friendship set to music.” — Joseph Campbell
So, let’s dance.
20. “So, I love you because the entire universe conspired to help me find you.” ― Paulo Coehlo
Destiny makes love happen.
21. “They say when you are missing someone that they are probably feeling the same, but I don’t think it’s possible for you to miss me as much as I’m missing you right now.” ― Edna St. Vincent Millay
No one could miss anyone this much, and yet lovers do.
22. “I’ve been in love with you since the very beginning. You asked why there isn’t anyone else in my life, and the reason … is you.” ― Julie James
Love arrives at the very beginning of time.
23. “Love is a rebellious bird that nobody can tame.” ― Veronica Rossi, “Through the Ever Night”
Love is as wild as it gets.
24. “To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never to forget.” ― Arundhati Roy, “The Cost Of Living”
What love requires a million tiny seconds, it’s worth it.
25. “Romance is the glamour which turns the dust of everyday life into a golden haze.” ― Elinor Glyn
Love is pure spun gold.
26. “When love is not madness it is not love.” ― Pedro Calderon de la Barca
Love takes you out of your mind in the best ways.
27. “To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.” ― C.S. Lewis, “The Four Loves”
Love is always a risk.
28. “It was a million tiny little things that, when you added them all up, they meant we were supposed to be together, and I knew it. I knew it the first time I touched her.” — Sam Baldwin, “Sleepless in Seattle.”
You cannot be lost when you have love.
29. “You don’t love someone for their looks, or their clothes or for their fancy car, but because they sing a song only you can hear.” ― Oscar Wilde
Love doesn’t care for the material.
30. “Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet.” ― Plato
The music of lovers is the most beautiful.
31. “Never close your lips to those whom you have already opened your heart.” ― Charles Dickens
Love thrives with communication.
32. “True love is rare, and it’s the only thing that gives life real meaning.” ― Nicholas Sparks, “Message in a Bottle”
Love is a rare and precious jewel.
33. “We loved with a love that was more than love.” ― Edgar Allan Poe, “Annabel Lee”
Love, and then love more.
34. “I am not sure where it is within us that our souls rest, but I do know that mine has been calling out to yours for as long as I have been able to draw air.” — Gareth Egan
Love is as essential as breath.
35. “When I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew.” ― Arrigo Boito
When love arrives, you just know.
36. “Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind, and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” ― William Shakespeare, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”
Love is unpredictable.
37. “And it was as if our lives collided in an unbelievable exquisite mess.” — Gareth Egan, “The Chaos In-Between”
The perfect love is the real love.
38. “If you love somebody, let them go, for if they return, they were always yours. If they don’t, they never were.” ― Kahlil Gibran
Only love that is freely given can be true.
39. “Here it’s safe, here it’s warm. Here the daisies guard you from every harm. Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true. Here is the place where I love you.” ― Suzanne Collins, “The Hunger Games”
Love is the safest place to be.
40. “Love is like the wind, you can’t see it but you can feel it.” ― Nicholas Sparks, “A Walk To Remember”
Love is mysterious.
41. “Just because I’m not forever by your side doesn’t mean that’s not precisely where I want to be.” ― Stephanie Laurens
Love is only place we want to be.
42. “There are two basic motivating forces: fear and love. When we are afraid, we pull back from life. When we are in love, we open to all that life has to offer with passion, excitement and acceptance.” ― John Lennon
Love is the best motivation.
43. “I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.” ― John Green, “The Fault In Our Stars”
Love happens in its own realm of time.
44. “Her heart was wild, but I didn’t want to catch it, I wanted to run with it, to set mine free.” — Atticus
Love runs wild and free.
45. “A soulmate’s purpose is to shake you up, tear apart your ego a little bit, show you your obstacles and addictions, break your heart open so new light can get in, make you so desperate and out of control that you have to transform your life, then introduce you to your spiritual master…” ― Elizabeth Gilbert, “Eat, Pray, Love”
The love of soulmates has true purpose.
46. “Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold.” — Zelda Fitzgerald
Love is immeasurable.
47. “Somewhere someone thinks they love someone else exactly like I love you. Somewhere someone is wrong.” ― Tyler Knott Gregson
Life love stories are sweeter than those love you quotes.
48. “Only once in your life, I truly believe, you find someone who can completely turn your world around. You tell them things that you’ve never shared with another soul and they absorb everything you say and actually want to hear more. You share hopes for the future, dreams that will never come true, goals that were never achieved and the many disappointments life has thrown at you. The things that seem insignificant to most people such as a note, song or walk become invaluable treasures kept safe in your heart to cherish forever. Memories of your childhood come back and are so clear and vivid it’s like being young again. Colors seem brighter and more brilliant. Laughter seems part of daily life where before it was infrequent or didn’t exist at all. Simple things bring them to mind like a pale blue sky, gentle wind or even a storm cloud on the horizon. You open your heart knowing that there’s a chance it may be broken one day and in opening your heart, you experience a love and joy that you never dreamed possible.” ― Bob Marley
Love brightens everything.
49. “I need you like a heart needs a beat.” — One Republic, “Apologize”
Love is as necessary as air.
50. “Come live in my heart and pay no rent.” — Samuel Lover
Let love be your shelter.
Romantic Love Quotes For Her
51. “So it’s not gonna be easy. It’s going to be really hard; we’re gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, everyday. You and me… every day.” ― Nicholas Sparks, “The Notebook”
Love is always worth it.
52. “And in her smile I see something more beautiful than the stars.” — Beth Revis, “Across The Universe”
There is nothing more beautiful than the person you love.
53. “And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien, “The Return of the King”
And that was that.
54. “If I had a flower for every time I thought of you… I could walk through my garden forever.” ― Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Love is an endlessly flowering garden.
55. “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.” ― Albert Einstein
Attention must be paid.
56. “For thousands of nights I dreamed of making love to you. No man on earth has ever hated sunrise as I do.” ― Lisa Kleypas, “Again the Magic”
Love fills your dreams.
57. “In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.” ― Jane Austen, “Pride And Prejudice”
Love must be spoken.
58. “Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering.” ― Nicole Krauss, “The History Of Love”
Love makes you forever curious.
59. “Oh, how a quiet love can drown out every fear.” — Jessica Katoff
Love is a supplier of endless courage.
60. “You are the one girl that made me risk everything for a future worth having.” ― Simone Elkeles, “Perfect Chemistry”
Love is worth any risk.
61. “‘You’re dangerous,’ he says. ‘Why?’ ‘Because you make me believe in the impossible.'” ― Simone Elkeles, “Rules of Attraction”
Love is the most thrilling kind of danger.
62. “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.” — Audrey Hepburn
Hold on tight to love.
63. “Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person might not be there again. Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.” ― Bob Moorehead
Hold on tight to your love.
64. “If I know what love is, it is because of you.” — Hermann Hesse
You define the meaning of true love
65. “There is only one happiness in life, to love and to be loved.” — George Sand
Love is pure happiness.
66. “Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything.” ― Stephenie Meyer, “New Moon”
Love sets everything on fire.
67. “Loving you never was an option. It was a necessity.” — Truth Devour
There is no choice in the matter.
68. “When I look into your eyes, I know I have found the mirror of my soul.” — Joey W. Hill
You and your love are the same soul.
69. “I fell in love with her courage, her sincerity, and her flaming self respect. And it’s these things I’d believe in, even if the whole world indulged in wild suspicions that she wasn’t all she should be. I love her and it is the beginning of everything.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald (on his wife Zelda)
Love makes you believe.
70. “I will love you always. When this red hair is white, I will still love you. When the smooth softness of youth is replaced by the delicate softness of age, I will still want to touch your skin. When your face is full of the lines of every smile you have ever smiled, of every surprise I have seen flash through your eyes, when every tear you have ever cried has left its mark upon your face, I will treasure you all the more, because I was there to see it all. I will share your life with you, Meredith, and I will love you until the last breath leaves your body or mine.” ― Laurell K. Hamilton, “A Lick Of Frost”
Love withstands all tests of time.
71. “It was rather beautiful: the way he put her insecurities to sleep. The way he dove into her eyes and starved all the fears and tasted all the dreams she kept coiled beneath her bones.” — Christopher Poindexter
Love defines the true meaning of beauty.
72. “If you gave someone your heart and they died, did they take it with them? Did you spend the rest of forever with a hole inside you that couldn’t be filled?” ― Jodi Picoult, “Nineteen Minutes”
Love is truly forever.
73. “There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.” — Friedrich Nietzsche
Love is reasonable cause for madness.
74. “It was love at first sight, at last sight, at ever and ever sight.” ― Vladimir Nabokov, “Lolita”
First sight is only the beginning.
75. “I loved you like a man loves a woman he never touches, only writes to, keeps little photographs of.” ― Charles Bukowski, “Love Is A Dog From Hell”
Love shows itself in many ways.
Romantic Love Quotes For Him
76. “One day you will kiss a man you can’t breathe without and find that breath is of little consequence.” ― Karen Marie Moning, “Bloodfever”
Love takes you by surprise.
77. “The very first moment I beheld him, my heart was irrevocably gone.” ― Jane Austen
Love makes you give all of yourself.
78. “If all else perished and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger.” ― Emily Brontë, “Wuthering Heights”
Love is only thing that matters.
79. “Baby, you are my New Year’s Eve, the beginning and end of everything.” — Jessica Katoff
Love is all-encompassing.
80. “I couldn’t stop staring at his mouth when he spoke. I bet he knew how to kiss. Perfect kisses too, ones that weren’t wet and gross, but the kind that curled toes.” — Jennifer Armentrout, “Obsidian”
There is nothing like love’s perfect kiss.
81. “The real lover is the man who can thrill you by kissing your forehead or smiling into your eyes or just staring into space.” ― Marilyn Monroe
It’s the smallest gestures that mean the most.
82. “She was ready to deny the existence of space and time rather than admit that love might not be eternal.” ― Simone de Beauvoir, “The Mandarins”
An eternity would be too short.
83. “Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.” — Aristotle
Twin flames offer their own special kind of heat.
84. “You can talk with someone for years, everyday, and still, it won’t mean as much as what you can have when you sit in front of someone, not saying a word, yet you feel that person with your heart, you feel like you have known the person for forever… connections are made with the heart, not the tongue.” ― C. JoyBell C.
Words cannot express the depths of love.
85. “I see the real you and it makes me want to peel myself open, and let you tear me apart.” — Dirty Sweet Poetry
Love leaves you open and exposed.
86. “The most important thing in the world is family and love.” — John Wooden
Love is simply what matters most.
87. “Finding someone you love and who loves you back is a wonderful, wonderful feeling. But finding a true soul mate is an even better feeling. A soul mate is someone who understands you like no other, loves you like no other, will be there for you forever, no matter what. They say that nothing lasts forever, but I am a firm believer in the fact that for some, love lives on even after we’re gone.” ― Cecelia Ahern, “P.S. I Love You”
There is nothing better than finding your soulmate.
88. “You don’t marry someone you can live with — you marry someone you cannot live without.” — James Dobson
Small distinctions are huge.
89. “In all the world, there is no love for you like mine.” — Maya Angelou
Each love is one-of-a-kind.
90. “Love is a decision; it is a judgment; it is a promise. If love were only a feeling, there would be no basis for the promise to love each other forever. A feeling comes and it may go. How can I judge that it will stay forever, when my act does not involve judgment and decision.” ― Erich Fromm, “The Art Of Loving”
Love is so much more than a feeling.
91. “Age does not protect you from love but love to some extent love protects you from age” — Jeanne Moreau
Love is timeless.
92. “The art of love is largely the art of persistence.” — Albert Ellis
Love takes staying power.
93. “It isn’t possible to love and part. You will wish that it was. You can transmute love, ignore it, muddle it, but you can never pull it out of you. I know by experience that the poets are right: love is eternal.” ― E.M. Forster, “A Room With A View”
Lovers can never be parted.
95. “It has been said, ‘Where there is love, there is life.’ Baby, we’re going to live forever.” — Dirty Sweet Poetry
Love is eternal.
96. “Then I realize what it is. It’s him. Something about him makes me feel like I am about to fall. Or turn to liquid. Or burst into flames.” ― Veronica Roth, “Divergent”
Love is magic.
97. “We are most alive when we’re in love.” — John Updike
Love is the reason we’re here.
98. “Love is a temporary madness, it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides. And when it subsides, you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion, it is not the desire to mate every second minute of the day, it is not lying awake at night imagining that he is kissing every cranny of your body. No, don’t blush, I am telling you some truths. That is just being ‘in love’, which any fool can do.” ― Louis de Bernières, “Captain Corelli’s Mandolin”
Love is an experience we all share.
99. “Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident.” ― Louis de Bernières, “Captain Corelli’s Mandolin”
Love is an art.
100. “I promise to live a life so rich in love that at the end I will not be so shy of death.” — Atticus
Love is a promise.
101. “Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only with what you are expecting to give — which is everything.” ― Katharine Hepburn, “Me: Stories Of My Life”
Love is all about giving.
102. “It is as if I had made you believe
In me once again
It is as if you knew I was your true love
It was as if I didn’t have to know
In this life
All you were to me
Was that flower.” — Dorothea Lasky
Love is blossoming.
103. “Love is like an hourglass, with the heart filling up as the brain empties.” — Jules Renard
Love is full.
104. “The Venn diagram of boys who don’t like smart girls and boys you don’t wanna date is a circle.” — John Green
Love is appreciating intelligence.
105. “When we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness and call it love — true love.” — Robert Fulghum
Love is sometimes silly.
106. “Love is a two-way street constantly under construction.” — Carroll Bryant
Love is revision.
107. “All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.” — Charles Schultz
Love is essential, but so are sweets.
108. “Marriage is like vitamins: we supplement each other’s minimum daily requirements.” — Kathy Mohnke
Love boosts immunity.
109. “We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.” — Dr. Seuss
Love is a little strange.
110. “Marriage has no guarantees. If that’s what you’re looking for, go live with a car battery.” — Erma Bombeck
Love recharges you.
111. “My wife is really sentimental. One Valentine’s Day I gave her a ring and to this day she has never forgotten those three little words that were engraved inside — Made in Taiwan!” — Leopold Fechtner
Love is funny.
112. “I love you like a fat kid loves cake.” — Scott Adams
Love is delicious.
113. “Love is sharing your popcorn.” — Charles Schultz
Love is great to take to the movies.
114. “When a couple of young people strongly devoted to each other commence to eat onions, it is safe to pronounce them engaged.” — James Montgomery Bailey
Love is devotion.
115. “When you’re in love, it’s the most glorious two-and-a-half days of your life.” — Richard Lewis
Love is short if you don’t put the work in, though.
116. “Love is a lot like a backache: it doesn’t show up on X-rays, but you know it’s there.” — George Burns
Love is always there, always present.
117. “Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down your house, you can never tell.” — Joan Crawford
Love is hot and passionate.
118. “Love thy neighbor — and if he happens to be tall, debonair and devastating, it will be that much easier.” — Mae West
Love extends beyond next door.
119. “If you want to read about love and marriage, you’ve got to buy two separate books.” — Alan King
Love takes time.
120. “Before you marry a person, you should first make them a computer with slow internet to see who they really are.” — Will Ferrell
Love is a test.
121. “Love doesn’t drop on you unexpectedly; you have to give off signals, sort of like an amateur radio operator.” — Helen Gurley Brown
Love is as complicated as technology.
122. “I do not write about love as if I have invented it. I write about love because thoughts of you inspire self-forgetfulness. And because writing about you gives birth to a star.” ― Kamand Kojouri
Love is nature.
123. “Without the wetness of your love, the fragrance of your water, or the trickling sounds of your voice ― I shall always feel thirsty.” ― Suzy Kassem
Love has texture to it.
124. “An eternity caught within a feeling is called love.” ― Laura Chouette
Love lasts for a lifetime.
125. “I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you.” — Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Love changes who you are at your core.
126. “Do I love you? My god, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches.” — William Goldman, “The Princess Bride”
Love is always growing and neverending.
127. “Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.” — James Baldwin, “The Fire Next Time”
Love is scary at times.
128. “Love is the thing that is always having the last word — even when those words are ‘I’m sorry,’ or ‘Forgive me,’ or ‘I love you no matter what.'” — Cleo Wade
Love is saying the hard things.
129. “The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more. That plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds.” — Nicholas Sparks, “The Notebook”
Love burns the soul.
130. “For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” — Judy Garland
Love is a secret we all want to know.
131. “How in hell can you handle love without turning your life upside down? That’s what love does, it changes everything.” — Lauren Bacall
Love turns your life in a new direction when you least expect it.
132. “Love is when you respect your partner’s needs.”
That’s what love is all about.
133. “Love is as surprising as a car accident.”
Love can put you in a state of shock.
134. “I have for the first time found what I can truly love. I have found you.” — Charlotte Bronte, “Jane Eyre”
Love is not easy to find.
135. “i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)” — E. E. Cummings, “I Carry Your Heart With Me”
Love is with you at all hours of the day.
136. “You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope… I have loved none but you.” — Jane Austen, “Persuasion”
Love hurts the soul.
137. “And I’d choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I’d find you and I’d choose you.” — Kiersten White, “The Chaos of Stars”
Love is big and vast.
138. “For all the things my hands have held, the best by far is you.” ― Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness
Love makes you feel whole.
139. “I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.” — J.R.R. Tolkien, “The Lord of the Rings”
Love exists in alternate worlds.
140. “They slipped briskly into an intimacy from which they never recovered.” — F. Scott Fitzgerald, “This Side of Paradise”
Love is like paradise.
141. “Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are.” — Oscar Wilde
Love is life-giving.
142. “yours is the light by which my spirit’s born:
yours is the darkness of my soul’s return
–you are my sun, my moon, and all my stars” — E.E. Cummings, “You are My Sun, My Moon, and All My Stars”
Love is in every inch of space.
143. “If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus one day, so I never have to live without you.” — Ernest H. Shepard
Love lasts even after death.
144. “You have made a place in my heart where I thought there was no room for anything else. You have made flowers grow where I cultivated dust and stones.” — Robert Jordan
Love expands the heart and makes it whole.
145. “You make me happier than I ever thought I could be and if you let me, I will spend the rest of my life trying to make you feel the same way.” — Chandler Bing, “Friends”
Love is friendship, first and foremost.
146. “He felt now that he was not simply close to her, but that he did not know where he ended and she began.” — Leo Tolstoy
Love is a figure-eight.
147. “I was made and meant to look for you and wait for you and become yours forever.” ― Robert Browning, “Pauline: The Fragment of a Confession”
Love is forever.
148. “What greater thing is there for two human souls, than to feel that they are joined for life — to strengthen each other in all labour, to rest on each other in all sorrow, to minister to each other in all pain, to be one with each other in silent unspeakable memories at the moment of the last parting?” — George Eliot, “Adam Bede”
Love makes you better in all the best ways.
149. “Doubt thou the stars are fire, Doubt the sun doth move, Doubt truth to be a liar but never doubt thy love.” — William Shakespeare, “Hamlet”
Love is not a thing to be questioned.
150. “I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach.” — Elizabeth Barret Browning, “How Do I Love Thee?”
Love is deeper than the ocean.
Is a ripe plum
Growing on a purple tree.
Taste it once
And the spell of its enchantment
Will never let you be.” — Langston Hughes, “A Love Song for Lucinda”
Once ripe, love will always taste this sweet.
152. “Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove.” — William Shakespeare, “Sonnet 116”
Love is poetic.
153. “Love is like a friendship caught on fire.” — Jeremy Taylor
Love is intense.
154. “There is only one happiness in life: To love and be loved.” — George Sand
Love is all you need.
155. “Those who don’t believe in magic, will never find it.” — Roald Dahl, “The Minpins”
Love is magical, but only if you believe.
156. “Where there is love, there is life.” — Gandhi
Love is a life force.
157. “The water shines only by the sun. And it is you who are my sun.” — Charles de Leusse
Love shines as bright as the sun.
158. “It was love at first sight, at last sight, at ever and ever sight.” ― Vladimir Nabokov, “Lolita”
Love is finding that one person you can never be without.
159. “Love is being stupid together.” — Paul Valery
Love means never being afraid to get a little goofy.
160. “Romance is the glamour which turns the dust of everyday life into a golden haze.” ― Elinor Glyn
Love is solid gold.
161. “To be your friend was all I ever wanted; to be your lover was all I ever dreamed.” — Valerie Lombardo
Live to dream, and dream to love.
162. “When I look into your eyes, I know I have found the mirror of my soul.” — Joey W. Hill
Love reflects your deepest desires.
163. “A boy is holding a girl so very tight in his arms tonight.” — Edward VIII
Hold love close.
164. “You know it’s true. Everything I do, I do it for you.” — Bryan Adams, “Everything I Do”
Love is being selfless.
165. “I never want to stop making memories with you.” — Pierre Jeanty
Love knows no limits.
166. “I’ve been in love with you since the very beginning. You asked why there isn’t anyone else in my life, and the reason… is you.” ― Julie James
Love is a tale as old as time.
167. “Who, being loved, is poor?” — Oscar Wilde, “A Woman of No Importance”
Love makes you rich.
168. “There’s nothing that I wouldn’t do to make you feel my love.” — Adele
Love is a neverending quest to express the depth of your feelings.
169. “I saw that you were perfect, and so I loved you. Then I saw that you were not perfect and I loved you even more.” — Angelita Lim
Love comes with imperfections and flaws.
170. “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” — Dr. Seuss
Love keeps you up at night.
171. “There is no remedy for love, but to love more.” — Henry David Thoreau
Love isn’t real unless it’s constant.
172. “There is a madness in loving you, a lack of reason that makes it feel so flawless.” — Leo Christopher
Love is always worth the madness.
173. “Each day I love you more, today more than yesterday and less than tomorrow.” — Rosemonde Gerard
Love grows each day.
174. “Love: the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired.” — Mark Twain
Love is the desire to be loved.
175. “I am in you and you in me, mutual in divine love.” — William Blake
Love is divine.
Alexandra Churchill is a digital editor based in New York City. She currently works for Martha Stewart Living. Her work has been featured on numerous sites including The Huffington Post, Her Campus, USA TODAY College, and Northshore and Ocean Home magazines.