We love Disney movies for their happy endings and nostalgic feelings, but these sad Disney quotes prove that even the happiest endings don’t come without some heartbreak.
Chances are there are a few Disney movies that get your tears flowing no matter how many times you watch it. But the endings are always happy! Yes, even in the Disney movie with the saddest death: Ellie from Up. Cue the tears!
But have you ever stopped to consider how brutally agonizing some of these scenes actually are? Winnie the Pooh? Heartbreaking. Lilo and Stitch? Traumatic. The Disney Princesses? Disturbing.
Sorry, but we’re about to suck all those warm fuzzy feelings right out of you as you take a look at the saddest of sad Disney quotes.
1. “You said you’d always be there for me, but you’re not.” — Simba, The Lion King
2. “Bad things happen and you can’t do anything about it.”— Timon, The Lion King
3. “You never forget kids like Emily, or Andy, but they forget you.” — Jessie, Toy Story 2
4. “The human world … it’s a mess.” -Sebastian, The Little Mermaid
5. “But if you want to leave, you can. I’ll remember you though. I remember everyone that leaves” — Lilo, Lilo & Stitch
6. “Please don’t go away. Please? No one’s ever stuck with me for so long before.” — Dory, Finding Nemo
7. “Goodbye may seem forever, farewell is like the end, but in my heart is a memory and there you’ll always be.” — Widow Tweed, The Fox And The Hound
8. “The evil queens are the princesses that were never saved.” — Angelina Jolie, Maleficent
9. “Never say goodbye, because saying goodbye means going away, and going away means forgetting.” — Peter Pan, Peter Pan
10. “It’s just that I’m not sure I fit in here. There’s no one I can really talk to.” — Belle, Beauty and the Beast
11. “All my life I was told I was nothing.” — Cinderella
12. “He has those ears that only a mother could love.” — Dumbo
13. “The colder the winter, the warmer the spring. The deeper the sorrow, the more our hearts sing.” — Bambi
14. “Maybe I just wanted to look in the mirror and see someone worthwhile. But I was wrong, I see nothing!” — Mulan
15. “He took me in when no one else would. I am a monster, you know.” — Quasimodo, Hunchback of Notre Dame
16. “Don’t worry about me. Go and enjoy yourself. I’ll stay here and be miserable.” — Eeyore
17. “Take her to the moon for me, okay?” — Bing Bong, Inside Out
No matter how sad a quote is, Walt Disney always believed in moving forward. His motto was: Dream, Believe, Dare, Do.
Stefanie Leonel is a freelance writer whose work has been featured in Women’s Health, Thought Catalog, and more.